To The College Student Who Is Burnt Out

To The College Student Who Is Burnt Out

It's about that point in the semester where many students are ready to just throw in the towel, but don't give up just yet.

31

Every year, it is a slow crawl to Thanksgiving.

The first half of the semester seems to fly by in a hurry. Yet, come November, time seems to have slowed down. Daylight savings time comes, and the sudden darkness of the night makes the days feel even longer. Back-loaded classes pile on the work, and you find yourself buried under a seemingly never-ending mound of assignments. This is a peculiar time of the year, especially in the classroom. You no longer find yourself excited by a class like you did in the first few weeks, instead, you simply chug along and do what needs to be done to pass the course. It's not quite time for finals yet, but it is time for exams, presentations, papers, and debates. Last week, I wrote the equivalent of 30 pages, 8,000 words to put it in perspective, and had to read over 300 pages of course material. This was an abnormal workload, but the past two weeks have been the busiest of my college career so far. I pushed myself beyond what I previously thought I was capable of. It was almost too much for me to handle.

College burnout is real.

Academic stress is inescapable for college students. Classes are extremely demanding, and juggling your academic life with your social life is a real test of your time management skills. You can't do it all. Even though you're young and vibrant, there is no such thing as being able to perfectly balance everything that is going on in your life. Prioritize and be willing to compromise. You gain nothing from stretching yourself paper-thin. Try not to burden yourself with unrealistic expectations. One sub-par grade will not prevent you from graduating, and in a short time, you will be able to put it completely behind you and move on.

Don't forget to put your mental health first.

It can be easy to give in to the culture that exists on college campuses that glorifies pulling all-nighters all night and other self-destructive behaviors. However, it is crucial to remember that college is only temporary. The semester will be over soon, and good grades are not everything. Sometimes, all you can do is try your hardest and thank God that you managed to pass. Your well-being is always more important than an assignment. If you are experiencing high levels of anxiety or prolonged bouts of depression, do not be afraid to talk about it with someone you trust on campus and seek professional help. When it all seems too much to handle, just remember that the semester will be over before you know it. Seek joy in moments with your friends or practicing self-care.