To The Choir Directors Who Changed My Life

You have inspired a passion that will last me a lifetime.

17

I have been in choir for eight years now, and I don't think I'll ever give it up. I was ten when I first auditioned. I really didn't think I would make it into the choir because I had never had a voice lesson in my life and didn't know much about what the choir would be like. I just loved to sing and wanted to share that with other people.

I actually ended up making the regular choir and was chosen for the honor choir as well. It was then that I believe the world started to open up for me.

I grew up in a small town, but being in choir allowed me to travel to bigger cities to broaden my world view. I got to perform with other gifted singers who taught me how to be better under the direction of someone with an incredibly different style than what I was used to. I wouldn't have had any of those amazing opportunities if it wasn't for Mrs. Hufstedler.

I really wish I would've had more time under her direction. I felt very safe in her class and she made me feel like I was special. I probably didn't even sing that well, but she built up my confidence so I became better.

Sadly, I ended up moving in February. I wanted to leave everything behind except for choir, and it really broke my heart to leave her. She is the person who started my journey, and I hope she knows how thankful I am for seeing what I didn't see in myself.

In high school, I met Mrs. Lyons. She had a lot of energy and genuinely made just about every kid in her chorus one class want to sing. I felt so inspired by her, and I really saw her as a role model for a long time.

She never yelled at us, even though we probably deserved it. She didn't command her choir, but instead, she allowed each student to be personally moved by the music. She let myself and a few other girls move on from chorus one to chorus two early, which meant we got to compete at solo and ensemble.

We didn't expect much because we were only freshmen, but we moved on to state and received a perfect score. She took a risk with letting freshmen perform, but because we knew she was rooting for us, we were incredible. With each year of high school, I felt myself becoming a stronger singer.

At the end of my junior year, she announced that she was moving to a different school, but promised to do everything she could to make sure we were in good hands.

I wasn't expecting Ms. Brown. I think I made a joke about performing "Africa" by Toto, and she actually arranged it. It was funny, but it really made me think, "Wow, she really wants us to know how far she's willing to go to show us she cares." That really meant something to me. That continued to be the theme throughout the year.

We tried so many different styles, formations, and music genres all because she cared enough to ask for our input. She never made a decision without talking to us first. She respected us and expected that same respect in return.

She wasn't always treated fairly. A few students made mean comments because they weren't used to certain expectations, and I'm sure that got to her. But she never treated anyone any differently. I really loved that about her, and we became really close. My senior year was really hard at certain points, but she was always someone I knew who would listen.

She made it known that she wanted her students to talk to her if they needed someone, which isn't a requirement. A lot of teachers work from 7:30 to 4 and leave, but I know she had to spend just about all her free time planning ways to make our choir better. I deeply admired her work ethic and compassion for everyone she met.

Even though I was only with her for a year, I believe she made me not only a better singer but a better person.

I was encouraged by Ms. Brown to audition for choir in college. Missouri State is known for having incredible choirs, and that thought was enough to intimidate me. I met Dr. Plisco through a workshop, and I was so impressed at her ability to transform our choir. I wanted to be in the Women's Chorus so badly because she was such a dynamite director who could teach me a lot. Last-minute, I finally got up the courage to audition.

When I found out I made it, I was equally elated and terrified. We have music that challenges each of us to reach within ourselves to become better. Dr. Plisco has done such a wonderful job inspiring us to perform to our best ability, while also creating a feeling of family. I can't wait to see what else she is able to accomplish with us.

If it wasn't for these four women, I would not be the person I am today. Each director gave me something new to improve, and I couldn't have all done the things I did or grown in the way I did without them. I will always be incredibly grateful for them for all they have done and will continue to do.