To The Boy Who Said 'Goodbye,' Thanks A Million

They say everything happens for a reason. I believe it even though it can be hard to see at first.

278
Photo by rawpixel.com on Unsplash

Dear You,

Thank you for making me realize what I never deserved. All the times I put in the extra effort and received little back. I would have never learned that a relationship is 50/50. Something that I so badly wanted from you. The simple things like compromise, apologies, understanding, and listening were never even there half the time and I was struggling to overcompensate to find the balance. It was exhausting. I lost a part of myself.

Sometimes I feel like you never even knew who I was. Thank you for letting me go and moving on so quickly. It only clarified what I never deserved from the beginning. Life has its ups and downs, I felt I could only be on the up for you. No complaining, no bad days. Only a perfect attitude and mindset could I show. I could not be myself and dare if I complained about a rough day, as I was only blamed for being upset. I learned it is okay to have bad days. Everyone has bad days and it is okay to not be okay.

I rather dance in my car to my 80's playlist you hated by myself than sit silently while you rapped a crude rap song that only you cared about. Thank you for allowing me to have myself back. I can be goofy, loving, caring and happy without you. I can dance when no one was watching including you. I can finally march to my own beat and place myself first. I do not have to stick around for your dreams when I do not even know if you knew mine. Thank you.

My life is on my terms now. I plan when and what I want to do without the negative commentary. I do not have to wait up late at night for your calls that last two seconds and succumb to short texts where you really did not care at all. When I tried to make you a better person, you backed away. All those problems that never got solved, you can carry that over to the next relationship. I will not be around for that. Thank you for taking all that with you.

Thank you for allowing me to focus on myself and love only me. I had myself from the beginning and I will never forget what makes me happy. Thank you for acting like you did at the end of the relationship, your true colors finally showed. It was a wake-up call to myself and a sign from God. They say God is the foundation of a relationship. I firmly believe that because God wants us to love each other how he loves us and I realized that what you had was a selfish love. A love where you cared more about your feelings, your life and that only made you happy up until the end.

Thank you for making me realize that if you were the one, you would not have given up because you would have loved me how God wanted me to be loved in the relationship. The one out there for me will not give up and will not make me feel like a leftover.

Finally, thank you for saying goodbye. I would have never found it in myself to say goodbye because I only saw love and compromise. I was a fighter and you were not. Thank you for breaking a promise even though you always said to me you never broke promises. Thank you for breaking up with me when you promised you never would and that you promised you would never hurt me. Even though life is hard and a goodbye is never easy, especially when you were my best-friend, it is for the best. Who knew that a broken promise would be for the best.

Thank you for making me stronger. I can finally find the parts of me I lost and not focus on giving all my love to someone else. I can give all that wasted love to me.

Thank you.