To The Boy Who Never Had My Heart

To The Boy Who Never Had My Heart

You broke it anyway.

106
To The Boy Who Never Had My Heart

A few days ago, I read an article similar to this one and it rang true for me. It inspired me to open up about my past. PSA: When I say 'you' throughout this article, please know it is meant as a plural of those I am writing about.

I'm sure we all have a similar story to this. These are the stories that make you doubt every love story you have ever heard and reinforces the idea that fairy tales are in no way close to reality.

Naming names would not do any good as it could only re-open old wounds.

I am an extremely shy individual. If you know me well you're probably thinking the opposite, but that's just it. It's because you know me and I am comfortable with you. I've been the victim of ridicule and bullying many times in my lifel, so I protect my heart as much as possible. If you have proven to me beyond the shadow of a doubt that you will have my back, then the walls will come down. Or maybe you have only proved it for the moment, and I have left myself exposed. I never know which it is until it is too late.

The names, faces and times of my life are all different. But the main part of the story remains the same. Saying that you lead me on would be easier, but it is not always the truth. Maybe we were in a relationship. Maybe we weren't. Maybe we were somewhere in between. One thing is for sure: in these situations, my heart was more invested than yours.

I encountered a wide variety of young men in high school and college. In high school, I still had the 'you remember me from when I hit puberty' shadow hanging over my head. I did date in high school, but none of those relationships were built to last. How can you be in a lasting relationship with someone when you do not really know yourself yet?

At college I did not have that shadow, but I still had my paralyzing shyness working against me. Back then, I was wary of any guy that might show interest. let myself hope too much when I thought someone did. There were times when I overcame and tried to take the chance, but you destroyed me for it.

I became even more guarded because of that reason. It is a reason to keep myself locked away, but it is no excuse for cheating myself out of life. You are not at all worth that effort.

You destroyed me and I do not care anymore. I did at the time. Probably too much. I have no regrets about it because it made me stronger and know the worth you never saw. You expect to leave a girl shattered and wondering at how to pick up the pieces. After the last time, I made a promise to myself. I promised myself that I would never let myself become that soaking-wet-mop you had once reduced me to. I'm not saying that I would give up on finding love, but I wold guard it as the gift it is intended to be. I could never say it as carelessly as you once did.

You see, I know that the beginning of this article made it seem like it was going to be painting a picture of me at my weakest moments and I was about to throw a public pity party. Maybe I did to an extent. However, this is more about showing you, all of you, that I am content with my life without anyone like you in it. I may see you occasionally for one reason or another and I'll be cordial. Not because you deserve it, but because I deserve better than to waste my life pining for the likes of you and wondering if I said the right thing when I saw you for five minutes.

Although I am not praising myself in any way by saying this, I apologize to anyone I might be this 'you' for. I'm not perfect. No one is. I am not condoning or condemning this behavior, but it is something that this world is too familiar with. Maybe that is the point. Maybe we need to stop looking for perfection in everyone we meet, and learn to accept the flaws they have within reason.

People need to stop looking for and expecting perfection out of life because life will surely not deliver. We need to live for what makes us happy and not what everyone around us thinks we need. We need to just start living without fear of consequence because someone does not return your affections. Take the chance and ride out the following wave.