To The People Who Suck The Fun Out Of Manchester

Fun Suckers Galore

16

I'm not usually one to complain, moreover go on endless rants on the Internet. So I'll do my best to keep this short and to the point.

The other day I decided it was simply too nice outside to spend the afternoon inside at the gym. Instead I ran/walked *cough, cough* (mostly walked) through Manchester, enjoying the sun and doing a good amount of people watching.

About half way through, I really needed to stretch my achilles out, so I made a b-line for the high school where I could stretch my heels off the back of the bleachers to fix my dilemma. Upon arriving, I noticed nobody on the field. This seemed weird because on a nice day, there are usually a few people playing soccer or running laps on the astro-turf that the administration so proudly presented to the school and community when the building was rebuilt a few years back. I got to the gate and was very confused. Every entrance to the field and bleachers was chained and held tight by a padlock.

I gave the school/whoever is responsible for the field the benefit of the doubt, assuming they were keeping people out for the day because perhaps they had just repainted the lines on the turf, or were fixing something in there. As I turned to leave, a large, ugly green sign caught my eye. It read:

"Fields open for use 9am-9pm, or by arrangement with MERSD (Manchester-Essex Regional School District). Police take notice."

This really pissed me off. My friends and I have joked for years that the adults and people of authority in this town suck the fun out of everything. Well, they're at it again. Let me just add the point that I was trying to use the turf around 5 pm, well within the hours of operation specified on that notorious sign. Administrators and Manchester Police could argue that the field is owned by the school and therefore MERSD has a right to control who uses it. However, this point is entirely futile because taxpayers paid for that turf AND the school. Those taxpayers and their families should be allowed to use it WHENEVER they want.

None of the kids in Manchester are stupid enough to drink or do drugs on that field. It's right in the open, so don't tell me that's the reason either. Get over yourselves.