Why are dogs so special?
Parents

To The Best Dog Ever

@weratedogs please post this on Twitter.

159
McKenna Colgan

This is Guinness. She was adopted on Saint Patrick's day and loves licking beer bottles. She not only has green eyes and a creamy beer color coat, but she's also named after the most famous Irish draft. 13/10.

When I was born, I already had three dogs. Two of them had belonged to my dad when he got married to my mom; they were named Kasey and Murphy. The other was my mom's; Gracey. The dogs were great and to say the least I probably took away all the attention from them and since they never acted out when I came into the world, they were the most patient and cooperative doggos ever.

Murphy was my favorite when I was little. Most likely because he was older and gentle. I couldn't pronounce his full name so I called him Murph. He died when I was six and I hadn't cried that much before then. Kasey was a mutt. She had been abused before my dad found her. She was a cuddler and did whatever I wanted her to, she let me paint her toes and put my clothes on her. She died just before we moved out of our first house. Gracey was a golden retriever and the youngest out of the dogs so she moved with us into the new house. She was the typical golden, attention loving, cheerful and loved ear rubs. She would lay on the couch in my parents' bedroom which we slept on together whenever I had a bad dream. She died when I was nine.

When I no longer had a dog to wake up for school in the morning, it wasn't much fun. So my parents, the dog lovers they are, decided to take a trip to the Durham Animal Shelter where we spent the day picking out a dog.

The puppies available were located way in the back so it had already been a few hours of dog visitation before we got to them. When we got back to the section of young dogs, we saw Guinness. She was in a kennel with her sister and her original name was Summer. She was a fluffy snowball with the biggest green eyes. We asked to spend time with her and when she came into the visitation room, I picked her up and she flipped right out of my hands. I knew she was the one.

As my mom signed the adoption papers and my dad went to Petsmart to pick out some accessories, I held her in my small 10-year-old twig arms and started thinking of names. It wasn't until we got home and she started licking my dad's Guinness beer bottle in cheers of St. Patricks Day in the Colgan (very Irish last name) household that my parents knew she should be named after their favorite drink.

Two years after getting Guinness, we got another dog named Lucy. Lucy was small and a runt, she had a lot of health issues and just recently passed away at six, but Guinness is still kicking it at nine years old)

Guinness has been with me throughout my entire transitional part of life. I think that's why she's my favorite.

Guinness not only is the most fluffy husky hybrid mix ever, but she's also very calm and collected. She doesn't mind I lay all my body weight on her or when I annoy her naptime. She used to be a pain in the ass to walk because she loved to smell everything, but I think she understood how impatient I was when I got off work/school and all I wanted to do was lay down.

Whenever I can't make a decision about something, I'd let Guinness decide for me by laying down the options in front of her. Whenever the snow fell we would go outside and run around since the snow was her favorite weather. Guinness was bigger than all the dogs in the past so she could easily jump to my height and let me squeeze her. I'd consider Guinness the best boy picker too, whoever she was calm around when she first met a boy I knew he'd be a good one.

When Guinness does pass away in the next few years, I hope I won't be there when it happens because I'll probably sob for days. Guinness was the dog that really made me a dog person and the one that made huskies my favorite breed.

So cheers Guinness. You were a month old when we adopted you in March of 2010, so you should technically be nine years old very soon. You are the best dog a gal could ask for.