To Play Or Not To Play

To Play Or Not To Play

Fear of concussions are preventing many youth from playing sports, but this is why I think it shouldn't.

28
To Play Or Not To Play
Vereen Rehabilitation Center

Concussions and sports have always been a point of ( often heated) discussion. What are the signs? What can be done to prevent them? Are they treatable? And the biggest question of all, should we allow kids to be playing such contact sports where the risk of getting a concussion is increased.

Recently I was watching the news when a story on kids, sports, and concussions came up. The reporters and medical experts discussed which sports had the most risks (girls soccers has the highest concussion reports, according to Good Morning America), and should parents allow their children to play.

This debate is one that is often heated and highly emotional as it involves children and their health. Concussion and other traumatic brain injuries are very serious and always should be treated as such. Lives can be changed or taken due to brain injuries and it is important that risks and signs of concussions are noted and explained to coaches, parents, doctors, kids, and other athletes.

However, I believe that just the risk of concussion and injury alone should never deter someone from playing sports. I have been horseback riding for about half of my life, and it is a sport where protective helmets are a must, they are specially created to protect against a potential horse kick. They are required in many show rings and for people under a certain age, and is highly, highly suggested for every rider. There are many risks in horseback riding, and even in one fall I had, my helmet probably saved my life as I cracked the helmet from the fall, who knows what would have happened should I had been helmet-less.

With this being said, I am a firm believer in wearing helmets and always wearing protective gear, no matter how old or how good of an athlete you are. I also believe you need to listen to your body and when you've hit your head or hurt yourself, you must take a break and get checked out. Don't be foolish and risk yourself.

However, fear of getting hurt shouldn't keep you from living your life. You should play any sport you want and do what you want. Though the risk is greatened in some sports, you can get a concussion or get hurt just getting out of bed. Life is too short to be scared to do what you love, and by avoiding things to prevent getting hurt, you aren't truly living. Be safe and if you hit your head, go see a doctor immediately, but never let fear prevent you from doing what you love.

For more information on concussions, head to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention's "Heads Up" website.

https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/basics/concussion_symptoms.html