A Question for People Who Don't Tip Their Servers

A Letter to People Who Choose to Not Tip Their Servers

My question is: Why? Why? Why?

93
https://www.everypixel.com/search?q=waitress&stocks_type=free&meaning=&media_type=0&page=1&image_id=6415328423099143802

Good day,

The world of waiting tables is one of frustration, It's a world of really great days, as well as a world of really awful days. That, my friends, is entirely up to you, our customers.

Most servers work for a measly hourly wage of around $2.00-$2.50 an hour. That is, on average, about $2.25 an hour. We then receive a paycheck of $0.00, after taxes are taken out. Thus, we make our living off of tips. But, you most likely already knew that.

You probably have your reasons for not tipping. You probably are upset that it took me more than 60 seconds to bring out that side of honey mustard for your crispy chicken tenders. Or, you're irritated that you chugged your drink the second it hit the table, and I didn't come rushing over immediately to bring you a new one. But the truth is, we typically have more than one table, and, sorry to break it to you, we can't be in more than one place at one time. It's just a fact.

The worst part, however, is that many people will go all out when they go out to eat. They'll order a tall, expensive drink, a yummy appetizer, a large, tasty entree, and top it off with a personal dessert. The truth of the matter is, if you have enough money to purchase all of that delicious food, there is no way you do not have enough money to tip your server. There's absolutely no excuse.

Imagine if you were in our shoes. God knows you'd be just as irritated, and just as frustrated; all you're trying to do is your job, and not receiving reasonable compensation for it. Please, think of your servers. Please, be a decent human being.

We're really not asking for much, simply 15%-20% of your bill. So, if you ordered boneless wings and water for $10, all we want in return for our services is $1.50-$2.00 as the tip. Trust me, that is not gonna break your bank.

So, to those who choose to not tip their servers, I have one simple question for you: Why?

Sincerely,

An annoyed & exhausted server