To My Sorority's Seniors

To My Sorority's Seniors

Thank you for teaching me what sisterhood means

30
To My Sorority's Seniors
Blogspot

When I was first initiated into my sorority and attended my first formal chapter, I remember sitting in the very back of the chapter room and thinking about the day when I would get to sit up front. At the time, I remember thinking about how cool it would be to be a senior, to know my way around, and to get to be the one that new members would look up to like I had looked up to my sorority's older sisters during my newly completed new member period. Fast forward a year and a half, and the day when I get to sit in the front at chapter is almost here.

In my naivety, it didn't quite occur to me that moving forward in initiation order was the result of some of my sisters graduating. It didn't occur to me that by sitting in the front rows, I would be taking the places of people who became some of my best friends.

It didn't occur to me that I would one day be sitting in a seat that had been filled by the girl who I first met as my orientation leader. She turned an otherwise terrifying and overwhelming college orientation session into a laugh-filled experience. Now, in addition to being my sister, she is one of the most vibrant and passionate people I know.

It didn't occur to me that I would one day be sitting in a seat that may have previously been filled by the girl who was our new member educator when I first joined my sorority and that that girl would become one of the most sarcastic people I know (in the very best way) and also a dear friend.

It didn't occur to me that I would be taking the place of my big, who is now preparing to start a career as a public school educator, and whom I cannot spend time with without laughing until my stomach hurts.

It didn't occur to me that I would be taking the place of the girl who was first my chemistry lab partner and then one of the kindest and most intelligent people I've ever met, and who shares my dream of becoming a lawyer someday.

And it also didn't occur to me how much I would miss these people when I didn't get to see them whenever I wanted.

To the sisters of my sorority who are graduating in May -- thank you for serving as a model of what it means to be strong, confident, successful, funny, creative, and so many other traits. Thank you for being my guide to understanding what sisterhood means. Thank you for being someone I can look up to, someone I can hope to emulate, and someone who demonstrates what it means to "walk truly in the light of the flame." Thank you for everything you have done to make our chapter as strong and successful as it is today, and thank you for the guidance you have provided me as an individual to be strong and successful, too.

My heart breaks a little bit when I try to imagine coming back in August and lining up in initiation order without you guys there, but at the same time I am so looking forward to see how you sweet women continue to be successful as alumnae.

Thanks for everything.