To My Parents As I Head Back To College For Another Year

You've given me everything I could ever need to make it through life and I will spend the rest of mine trying to show my appreciation.

47
Values.com

To my parents,

After two years have come and gone, leaving home a third time has not gotten any easier; however, I realize how lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. From the very beginning, you have given me the courage to follow my dreams; moreover, you believed in my ability to achieve success even when I was doubtful. As the amount of time we have to spend together during the year is becoming less and less as I grow older, I would like to take a moment to express all of my gratitude for every single thing you do for me, as I know I do not tell you enough. Its hard to believe that twenty years have flown by for me, but I cannot even begin to fathom how quickly they flew by for you nor can I imagine how hard it is to let your baby girl explore the world on my own. I hope you find comfort in the fact that I have learned a multitude of lessons from you that have molded me into the woman I am, and those lessons have more than prepared me for this journey we call life.

To my mom: I know that there are days when I didn’t call when you wanted or didn’t text you an update right away, and this not only hurts but also terrifies you. I want you, and dad, to always know you are never forgotten. No matter how old I get, I will always need you because not only are you my parents, but you both are truly the best friends I will ever have. Thank you for being there when I finally do end up calling you at 1 am crying because life just isn't going my way. Thank you for always helping me with anything I need, from paying for (yet again) another parking ticket or over-night shipping a pair of shoes I forgot at home. Thank you for being, forever in my eyes, the best mom, the best friend I can count on, and the lady I can talk to for hours on the phone just to gossip about life.

To my dad: Thank you for always sending pictures of home and around the farm. Being at school and not working on cattle at home with you is one of the things I miss most. I miss your advice, outlook on life, and humor all the time while I am at college. I know you work so hard, by yourself majority of the time, to keep everything running and I hope that I can have half the work ethic, drive, and ambition you do some day. Thank you for some of your "tough" love that is needed when I am being stubborn and even a bit selfish at times, but also for your encouragement and praise at other times. Thank you for always being the coolest, dorky, loving dad I've ever known.

From both of you combined, I see what I want in life in the aspects of family. I've learned that there is no one way to be a "perfect" parent but over a thousand ways to be a really, really great one. I learned to remember that its the little things and moments that make life so special. That the power of prayer is greater than any other force. More importantly, people come into your life for a reason, and others for a season, but family is always there.

As I continue on my journey through my last two college years in the next few weeks, I will remember your kind words, your life lessons and most importantly, the love that you have given me to go out and pursue my dreams. I would not be half of the person I am without having you two in my corner for love and support the last twenty years. You've given me everything I could ever need to make it through life, you taught me to do the right things, and I will spend the rest of my life trying to repay you and show my appreciation.

Love always,

Your (not so little) girl.