To My Papa
Family Friends

An Open Letter To My Papa

You deserve this more than anyone.

2074
An Open Letter To My Papa
Pam Terra

I wrote a letter two weeks ago to my Grampy who passed far too soon, and after writing that I realized there is so much to say to the Papa who is still here.

So to one of the best men I know…this, one is for you.

Papa,

I thought after writing about so many others you deserved an article, something that you should've gotten a long time ago, something you deserve so great but I never wrote. It is hard to tell someone they changed your life and put it into words beautifully enough that people can read.

Here is my best shot at telling you that you changed my life.

Like so many of my other letters, I will start with a thank you. Thank you for rushing through a blizzard to be there when I was born. Thank you for watching my favorite shows with no complaints even after I stole the clicker. Thank you for playing dolls, house and nail parlor with me for all those years. Thank you for attending every school concert and event and having the biggest smile in the crowd on your face.

Thank you for going to that Ed Sheeran concert with me last minute when mom got sick. Thank you for texting me every week and telling me you love me and are proud of me, those texts keep me going. Thank you for all the boat rides and for always baiting my hook (we all know I am terrified of it).

Thank you for teaching me to see the best in everyone all of the time. Thank you for showing me that sometimes in life all you need to do is dance like an idiot or laugh at yourself. But most importantly thank you for loving me the way you do, your love has forever been unmatched.

I'll move on to telling you how absolutely incredible you are. You always joke around calling yourself amazing and awesome but deep down your humbleness would never demonstrate that. Your ability to make friends instantly and your ability to have the whole room believing they are so important to you is incredible. Your ability to be a grandfather, father, husband, friend, brother and worker demonstrate your care and love for everyone around you. In high school I had to write an essay about my hero, someone who impacted my life more than anyone else had, I wrote about you.

I do not think I ever told you this essay was in existence, but I hope someday I can dig it out of the pills of school papers and find a copy for you to read. You have forever been my hero and continue to be. Your strength, love, and passion in everything you do are incredible to watch and to be apart to of. I am honored to be your granddaughter and I am so incredibly proud to say I am.

Papa, I hope you know the impact you make on the people around you and the love for you we all have. I hope you know how special you are in all our lives and how our lives would be so much less without you here. Above all, I hope you know you are loved far more than you will ever know.

Love,

Me