To My Manager, Christopher

To My Manager, Christopher

In such a short period of time, you were the one who pushed me over the edge!

13
To My Manager, Christopher
MYRKOTHUM

To my manager Christopher,

You pushed me over the edge, but in a great way that I needed in order to become a better version of myself! You say that you are good at reading people, but you found out last week that I am particularly difficult to read.

I want to let you know some things...

1. I'm a busy woman, and I overextend myself.

I may have 800 things to do, but I always find time for the things/people/events that are important to me. I have two personal notebooks having more used pages every day, and I have three different planners too! I make sure to have a presence in each group I have committed to, no matter how small. I learned throughout high school and my first few years at college that leadership is very important. I also decided that I would not allow my shyness to prevent me from being successful in life. I have promised myself that I would not lose my quiet personality, but I would dedicate my strengths to improve my social networking and work ethic.

This past week, I started our meeting while power walking from another meeting while trying to get everything together for my next meeting. Our talks are important to me and I focused in on what we were talking about.

2. I have OCD, anxiety, and everything else accompanied with these.

Most people know that I am pretty level headed and extremely organized. When there are papers all over the floor, I am unfocused, and my nervous ticks start to show, you know disaster is about to happen. I start laughing as a defense mechanism because my brain starts looking like that one scene from Spongebob...

On the outside, I try to keep composure, but internally, everything is on fire being destroyed. When I cannot keep track of everything I have going on, I start to deteriorate and meltdown! (Initiate hyperventilating at an exponential rate.)

This doesn't happen often, but when it does, everyone knows it's bad. Quite a few people use my mental strength as a comparison to any situation: If Michelle is breaking down, YOU KNOW IT'S BAD. To prevent this from even happening, I laugh it off before the overwhelming crying starts.

3. I take all my jobs and projects seriously.

I may have a lot going on, but I commit myself to every little project I have or is assigned to me. I'm a manager that walks in every day with 20 new things to do that are time sensitive, while also having to pay attention to customers. My second job is more self-driven and all about learning how to use new equipment. I always make sure each project is completed to be of my ability no matter how many other things I have going on inside my head. I am the Editor in Cheif for a writing group. I need to keep track of my goals, the team goals, deadlines, stragglers, finding new people, meeting times, and my meetings with you. Although trying to do all of this in one day (while being a full-time engineering student), I still know what is important to me. Plus, I just want to say that our 1:1 meetings are the highlights of my Monday's. I finally get to sit down and just talk to someone, and you make me outgoing for some odd reason!

4. I rarely open up to people.

I have found out through my life so far that it is better to conceal yourself than to have people know everything about me. Although I do have a wall built up, I do know how to show people my personality and strengths. When we had our first video chat, I was so nervous that I was set up and ready for at least thirty minutes before the actual call. Now, I don't mind that I'm running with the phone all up in my face and looking ridiculous. Plus, I don't stress out and over think before our meetings, and it has only been 3 weeks! I appreciate you, Chris. You have greatly impacted my life so far.

5. I am quiet, reserved, and INTROVERTED.

It is in my nature to observe and listen before speaking and inputting my own opinion. I was never the loud one, nor was my ideas ever taken with any thought. I never felt like my opinions were right, and now that I am a leader of a group: my opinions and ideas matter! Whenever you ask me what I think about a certain situation, I am usually in shock and unsure that I am thinking the right way.

You have helped me break out of my insecure, shy shell, and I look forward to our meeting every week. (Although I feel like we never have enough time!)

6. I am always thinking 2-3 steps ahead of what is currently happening.

I listen to what is being said to me, but when I have to think on my feet, I am always 2-3 steps ahead of the current place. It sometimes seems like I am not paying attention, but really I am thinking about what is going to be asked and how to answer it logically. I consider myself as a person who thinks before they speak versus someone who just blurts out the first thing that comes to mind.

Now let me tell you, I OVERTHINK EVERYTHING. I always want to be prepared for what is going to happen next when in a conversation, especially one that is important.

I want to thank you, Chris, for being the role model that I've needed for so long. Thank you for the new opportunities and improvements that you've provided for me. Sometimes people need an extra push to take that next step to becoming the person they want to be. As someone who has struggled and still is struggling, you are that extra push that I needed, and you inspire me to pursue the better person that I can be.

Hopefully, this gave you a little insight to by brain, and maybe you'll be able to read me better!