21 Things My Little Sister Needs To Know BEFORE High School

The do's and don'ts from your big sis

46
Kennedy_dawn98

Dear sister,

High school is a big transition-- don't tell me I don't understand because I've been there before, trust me! But in all honesty, you're going to kill it! I am filled with faith that you will make forever friends as I did, and that you will stay out of trouble (I still know people that will keep an eye on you in that joint!). I wish I could be there embarrassing you in the hallway, but since I can't I'll just have my secret sources yell your name and give you high fives. Since I can't be there for your first year in a new place, I guess these survival tips will have to do.

High school isn't as scary as it seems.

This goes out to all her little pipsqueak friends who are like my little sisters too:

1. No rolling backpacks

That is literally asking for social suicide.

2. Be yourself

Don't spend hours getting ready or trying to find the perfect athlete because people are going to like you for who you are not for who you are trying to be. That also means you don't have to wear every article of clothing I left in my closet- your clothes will do!

3. Make as many friends as possible

I think it is very important to keep your tight knit group of friends but at the same time, put yourself out there and make other friends too!

4. Boyfriends are overrated

You're a freshman and right now your girlfriends are so important! They are going to be the girls by your side when a boy breaks your heart-- which no boy better do because that isn't fly with me!

5. Get involved in school

I know you are already playing a sport, but don't let that rule your life! Join a club or volunteer at events! Being involved is just another way to make more friends!

6. Studying is cool

While some may think school is overrated, it isn't! It is important, and having good grades is cool. To your friends who don't think it is "cool", it will be way more "cool" when you get into the college of your choice!

7. You get in what you put out

If you aren't putting in effort to do well in school, don't expect to see A+ results! The same goes for your friends!

8. Drama is inevitable

Although drama may be inevitable with girls, stay out of it! You don't want to look back on high school and remember the drama, you wanna remember the friendships and events! And if you don't wanna be in the middle of it, you also shouldn't start it but I promise-- girls always attract drama so do your best to walk the other way!

9. Don't fall for the "elevator pass" prank

This happened my freshman year with people I knew, but be smarter and don't try to buy an elevator pass, because there is truly no such thing.

10. Don't underestimate our parents

Our friends are friends with many teachers. Teachers hear things. Parents talk. I feel as if that is enough to know not to try and be sneaky with mom and dad because they will find out.

11. You will see dad at school

Don't let it embarrass you, but his job brings him to the school somewhat often and people will tell you they saw your dad, or you will run into him in the hallway but embrace it and be thankful you get to see him!

12. Don't stress over things you can't change

As much as we all want to stress, mom has taught me that it really just isn't worth it.

13. Senior Courtesy

Seniors will always have the greater rule over you, but stick your ground and don't let them push you around!

14. Hallways are brutal

Seriously, watch people's elbows in the hallway because they hurt when you get hit! Also, big back packs aren't fun when they run into your face!

15. Be kind to your teachers

As an education major myself, I really trust that you will be respectful for them! Plus, they work hard to ensure that you learn everything you need to know! And, when senior year comes around and you need them to write you a recommendation letter, you will have hoped you were nicer! Educators do so much for you, remember to tell them thank you!

16. You're going to fail a test

No, it isn't fantastic, but It also isn't the end of the world! You are so smart and I believe in your ability to learn from your mistakes in and out of the classroom!

17. Ask questions in class

It doesn't single you out as someone more 'dumb' because you have questions to ask! Asking questions ensures that you learn the information the best way possible for you, and most of the time, others have the same questions but they aren't brave enough to speak up!

18. Don't fret the little things

In a few years no one is going to remember the stain on your shirt from lunch, or the zit on your nose! Remember the big things and don't fret the little ones!

19. Get out of your comfort zone!

Go to a football game and dress up all crazy! Go to a dance with just your gal pals! Get involved in a club! Your best adventures will be outside of your comfort zone, and that is how you find out exactly who you are!

20. You will not get thrown in the "freshman pond"

Yes it is actually called the freshman pond, but no they don't throw freshman in it-- at least not you because I put in a good word for ya ;)

21. Your experience is YOURS!

Your high school experience is going to be different than everyone's! Your experience is tailored around you, not your friends! Don't center your experience around others-- it is okay to be unique and let this experience be your own!

I am so proud of you so far sis, and I know that you have a great chapter ahead. This life isn't easy to live all the time and it is filled with so many unexpected things, but remember-- I am just one call away! I love you to the moon and back!

Love always,

Your big sister!