To My Hero In Orange

To My Hero In Orange

Even Superman has to sit down sometimes.

313
To My Hero In Orange
Addie Huthwaite

In July, you were diagnosed with Leukemia. I knew you had a bone marrow biopsy, but I thought that after praying your results would be good. I trusted God that you were going to be okay. When I got the call that you had been diagnosed, my entire life changed. Mom told me to tell Cosette and we both cried for an hour. We didn't talk, we just held each other and cried.

You have been more of a dad to me in the past year than my own dad has been in the past few years. I look up to you. I’ve seen my mom go through some pretty hard times and now you make her happy. You cook, work in the yard, and reach the top shelves we can’t get to. You're the kind of man that is so intimidating I can’t bring guys home because no one is tough enough. When I need someone to set me straight, you are the man for the job. But you do it in a way that makes me feel like a respectable adult.

The news of your diagnosis affected me more than I ever thought possible. First, I stopped eating. Then, insomnia hit me hard. Something about not having you in the house made me feel lost and uneasy. I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep until 7 a.m. every night. Finally, depression hit me harder. I didn’t want to leave the house or talk to anyone. My friends had not comforted me or cared at all so I pushed them away. For months, I just felt sorry for myself. I was overcome with sadness, worry and I cried nearly every day.

However, just like in every other tough time, I learned to appreciate what I had lost. Life is short and it takes awful things like this to make us realize that. I got to see you once a week in the hospital and hugging you was so special. I looked forward to telling you about my week because you always laughed at my stories. Those are the things we all take for granted.

The entire experience brought me even closer to God. I am thankful that God put you in my life and that I was given the chance to have a family. I am thankful that God has protected you because He knows I would be lost without you. God only gives us obstacles that we can overcome and I am blessed to have my family with me through this one.

I know that you are scared and upset. This is a tough thing to go through, but I know you are strong enough to handle it. I am sorry that I can't be there to hug you and help you through this, but trust that I am praying and sending my love. Don't feel discouraged because even Superman has to take breaks from saving the world. It's okay to pause and sit down. Don't give up.

Love, Addie