To My Grandparents: In Case I Forget To Say Thank You

I'm sorry for not always remembering.

31
Google Image

To all of the grandparents in the world: I want to apologize for all of the times your grandchildren have taken you for granted. We have always just expected you to do certain things for us because for as long as we can remember, you have. You deserve to be thanked every single day, and although I'm sure there are times we have forgotten to thank you, your love has never once gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

Thank you for making your house a second home.

All of the grandchildren take over in the summer. No school means hanging out at your pool every day for three months straight. Thanks for the endless amounts of hot dogs, burgers, and baked beans you cooked for all of us.

Thank you for spoiling us.

Whether you're sneaking us that fourth cookie from the snack drawer after our parents said no or spending hours wrapping gifts for birthdays or holidays, you always make sure we have everything we need and more than we could want.

Thank you for being front and center at all of our events...

It doesn't matter how many basketball, volleyball, softball, or baseball games, wrestling matches or dance recitals you sit through every year, you continue to do so without reservation.

...and for telling us we were the best ones out there.

Even if we clearly messed up, you argue until you are blue in the face that we were a thousand times better than everyone else on the court, mat, field or stage.

Thank you for bragging about us to anyone who will listen.

You always find a way to bring your grandchildren into conversation in line at the grocery store, on Facebook and to the waitress when we're out to eat. We love knowing we make you proud enough to tell everyone about us.

Thank you for sitting through Grandparents' Day.

I'm not sure how many times two people can listen to "You are My Sunshine" and "You Raise Me Up," but you've done it every year.

Thank you for being the first to congratulate us.

If we pass a huge exam, get an award in school or get job we really want, you are always the first to call and tell us how excited you are for us and how proud you are.

Thank you for the way you love each other.

Being able to see how completely in love you two are and how much farther in love you seem to fall every day is an incredible thing.

Thank you for loving us more.

When we tell you we love you and you respond with "not as much as I love you," we can't help but smile and remember how lucky we are to have you.

I'm sure there will be times in the future that we forget to thank you for little things that you do for us, like taking us to the doctor when we're too sick to drive and our parents are out of town or giving us advice before we go hunting. Please don't forget how grateful we are and always will be for you. We wouldn't be where we are today without your constant love.