I Have My Future Pets' Names Already Picked Out

Yeah...I'm that weird. Stay tuned for a list of all future pet names I have planned.

40

So...this is exactly what it is titled as. A little note to my future pets and a list of potential names for them. Keep in mind that I'm an only child...so it gets kinda lonely and I end up turning to dreams like this.

My entire life, I've wanted a lot of things. To pursue my dream career in medicine, to put my education to work and help those in need, to travel the world, and to live a full and happy life. But one desire I've left out of that ambitious list is my dream to have pets. Ugh, just writing that sentence makes me feel super lame. But it's true! (But FYI, the other things on the last are honestly my first priorities).

Growing up without siblings, I turned to anything that would give me temporary company or keep me busy. In my younger years, this was fulfilled by elementary school, sleepovers with friends, and "extracurriculars." And then, of course, middle and high school and stress took over and I couldn't really expect 24/7 company from arbitrary living things. But that didn't mean my wish to own a pet, primarily a dog, was hidden.

Since we started living in the United States, there has only been one question that I will never cease to ask my parents: can I get a dog? I'm serious, I even ask it today. We could just be in the car, my mom driving at a furious speed of 40 miles an hour on the GA 10 Loop (with a 65 mph speed limit) and me in the passenger seat. It'll be silent, except for the radio throwing up the same formulaic pop songs in a heavily-repeated automatic queue. And out of the blue, I'll just be like...."Can I get a dog?" only to get an immediate response of "no." And that's that. No more, just the same old question with the same old response over and over. Sometimes, I follow up with other questions like "Why not?" or "Please" when I actually see a dog around my parents. But most times, I let it go after the first query.

You might ask why I'm so obsessed with the idea of being a dog owner. And to that, I ask you: is that a serious question? Dogs are the superior organisms in this world (remember, I'm a self-conscious teen writing this article at 4:11 am on my winter break so don't take that at face value to describe me as a human). We honestly don't deserve dogs. But back to the "since I was little" stuff.

As far as toys went, I mostly had plush stuffed animals and puzzles and coloring books and Barbie dolls. But that was all before the glory days of me pretending our floor fan was my dog. I'm serious. There is probably video footage somewhere of my grabbing the extension cord of the Lasko white floor fan and just violently whipping it around, all the while screaming "Come on puppy! Let's go on a walk!" Yeah, I probably played with that fan until I was 7 years old. That's how desperate I was for a dog.

Then, when the "fan"-tasy wore out, I turned to playing vet with my stuffed animals. My parents worked in chemistry labs at the university, meaning I had access to a variety of random empty "medicine" bottles and needle-less syringes to operate on my pets with. I spent a few years hoarding vet supplies and living out a real world of Webkinz.

And both while I played with toys and after I got too old for toys, I turned to media entertainment: Youtube videos, movies, and TV shows. Youtube served the purpose of providing me with "Funniest Dog Compilations" while I lived in my imagination with shows like Scooby Doo, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Martha Speaks, Blue's Clues, and Krypto the Superdog. Movies like Airbud (and all the other -Bud/Buddies movies), Homeward Bound, Snow Dogs, Bolt, Marley & Me, Hotel for Dogs, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, the Shaggy Dog, the Fox and the Hound, Firehouse Dog, and Benji would provide me with about an hour and a half of dog-based entertainment on weekends. Even today, I can't resist a good dog movie or book.

At this point, I know that while I live under my parents' roof and am a student, I won't get the chance of being a dog owner. And to be frankly honest, I'm okay with that for now because I know that the minute I am fully independent and have somewhat of a direction in life (mid-20s?), I'll be ready to share my life with a furry friend. I want to be able to fully support a life companion with my own money and my full attention and time. I want to rescue pets that deserve better lives and ones that need love and compassion just as much as I would. The long time between now and then makes me envy all of my friends with pets, but happy for them that they get to experience childhood with an organism that doesn't need words to understand and comfort you. I truly believe people who grew up with pets, dogs or cats, sometimes take advantage of that experience. Let me explain.

If I'm out with my friends or even on campus, I am always the first person to sense a dog and immediately find it. And then I let everyone around me know. In fact, even my Snapchat has turned into a puppy tribute, what with all the guide dogs on campus. (Side note- sometimes, these guide dog trainers don't deserve to be trainers either; I've seen some horrible people). Also, whenever I go over to a friend's house, I first greet their pets...or at least make a huge deal about wanting to see their pets.

Anyways, I've unfortunately had to come to terms with the fact that I'll just get a life-long buddy when I get a life. I can't wait to spoil them rotten. I'm talking ROTTEN. And don't worry, I will adopt, not shop. Until then, I will keep expanding the list of "Future Pet Names" on my phone. Just for fun, I've included a few names below. I know they're not super original, but I love them. A lot of them are inspired by some of my favorite TV shows/movies/books and others, I just love because they're great. I'm not crazy enough to give you all of them- don't want any to get stolen. Yeah, but I am that crazy.

Future Pet Names (Dogs): Finn (Finnegan), Milo, Delta, Auggie/Oggy, Cisco, Lena

Future Pet Names (Cats): Pistachio, Jasper, Delta, Nyssa, Carlisle, Esme

Thanks for reading my "hey I want a dog/cat article." And to my future pets, I can't wait to share my journey with you and give you the world you deserve.