To My Future Daughter

To My Future Daughter

It's not all princesses and juice boxes.

28
To My Future Daughter
Glamourista

I think Daisy Buchanan hit the nail on the head when she said she hoped her daughter would "be a fool — that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." Being a strong and smart woman in this world is a difficult and constant battle. Sometimes, it seems like being naive and dumb would be the easy way out. Some days, I wish I had been born without curiosity and a burning desire to have all the answers, but if you remember these things, hopefully, you'll have an easier transition into womanhood.

1. It's a man's world

Yes, that sounds sexist and conforming, but it is the truth. As a woman, you will have to work twice as hard to get the same treatment as your male peers, but the beauty of living in a man's world as a woman is that you become special. Being a hardworking and successful woman makes you seem like a rare breed, and you will have twice as much respect as the girls who settled.

2. Get your education

I don't care if you go to medical school or get a degree in philosophy — just get an education. Sadly, it is becoming impossible to get a good and respectful job without a degree, but a degree and a college experience gives you wisdom. College changes the way you see the world and the way you see yourself. It is an imperative to your future.

3. Travel

You live in such a vast, exotic and beautiful world, it would be a shame to stay in the same place for the rest of your life. Get out of your comfort zone and explore. But don't just explore gift shops and the ultimate tourist destinations. Explore cultures, religions and ways of life. Traveling will teach you compassion and an appreciation for the unconventional. So travel, travel, travel.

4. Guard your heart

So many people will lie and deceive you to make you think they hung the moon. But, darling, trust me when I say almost nobody is exactly who they say they are and nothing is exactly how it seems. Don't give everything away up front. Guard your emotions, goals and ideas until you find people you can trust to share them with. Not every person you will meet will be bad, but not every person you will meet will be good either.

5. Fall in love with yourself first and foremost

Before you fall in love with another person, make sure you are in love with the woman you have become. When you are proud of yourself and are becoming the woman you want to become, the right person will fall in love with that. However, if you're finding yourself straying down the wrong path or becoming a woman with no self-respect, spend some time alone to get yourself in order. The wrong people will flock and prey when they see you are vulnerable, but the right people will uplift you and share pride with you when you have pride in yourself.

6. Respect yourself

For the love of God, respect yourself. Respect yourself in every aspect of your life. Respect yourself in the way you dress, when you are in your car, when you are in class, when you are at parties and when you are alone. Have grace and class and never be a second rate version of someone else. Be the best you wherever you are and whomever you are with.

7. Know you are so loved

So many people love you, but just know, you will always have support. I promise to love you no matter what path you take in life. I promise to tell you when your shorts are too short and when you are wearing too much makeup. I promise to wipe your tears when you cry and to scold you when you aren't being your best. I also promise to support you always, whether you are in beauty pageants or are the leader of the chess club. As long as you are passion about it, I'll support you. So live life without regrets and be unapologetically you. Stand up for yourself and be fierce and quick witted. Hold your own and do not depend on anyone else, ever. You control your happiness and your future. You will make mistakes and you will fail, but keep going and don't give up. Yes, being a girl is unfair at times, but being a woman means you deal with what you must deal with and become a stronger person than you once were.