I'm The Girl Who Is Heartbroken About Raising Children In THIS World

But you, the good, truly prevails.
30

At nineteen years of age, I can already say that I fear for what the world will be like when I have children of my own. It sickens me to think of all that has been happening, from the mass shooting in Las Vegas to corrupt politicians provoking even further divides across our nation.

With that being said, the following is an address to my future children, in reference to what has been happening in the present day, and how I hope it will be so different for them.We have not met yet, but let me say that I already love you with all my heart. The year is 2017, and it’s been a tumultuous one, to say the least. There have been seemingly countless mass shootings, destructive natural disasters (both foreign and domestic), and our president is a former reality TV star.

Do not even get me started on half the things he’s ‘accomplished’ thus far. All in all, things aren’t looking too hot.

There is no way we can continue on this path; something must be done. On that note, I want nothing but the best for you, and I hope you can take my insight and apply it to your daily lives -- whether or not we are redirected to a better path.To my future son: I am certain that you will be the respectful, kind, charismatic young man I’ll raise you to become. There are plenty of you out there, but you do not receive the attention you deserve.

Unfortunately, the bad in others often has to be addressed in order to see the good.

It is quite discouraging, but issues such as sexism, gender inequality, and gun violence must be acknowledged and combatted. Please know that you will not be construed as a sexist, overbearing individual, despite all of the negativity that exists today.

Do your job and prove the stereotypes wrong.

Work hard, be smart, do whatever makes you happy. I’ll always be here to guide you.To my future daughter: well before I hold you in my arms for the first time, I already long for you to have better days than many women from my generation have experienced.

The world is a scary, scary place. Sometimes, the people who you should be able to trust and look up to will let you down beyond belief. With that being said, I pray to God that we will no longer have a president who condones misogyny, sexual misconduct, and rape culture. That’s right, he does absolutely nothing to combat this source of evil that runs through society.

Not only does it break my heart, but it also infuriates me to think that this type of behavior that is ultimately deemed normal.

I will do everything in my power to protect you from the monsters that live among us. It’s inevitable that I won’t be able to block out everything, but just know that you are strong. You are beautiful. You are smart. You are worthy. Do not allow fear to reside within you, because you will power through with strength and resilience. You’ll thrive in your lifetime, my love.

Though I am writing to help you overcome the bad, I want you to know that the good truly prevails; look around, you are so, so loved.