To My Freshman Year Roommate

To My Freshman Year Roommate

Thanks for not giving me a horror story to tell my kids one day

36
To My Freshman Year Roommate
Katie Coviello

With only a week and a half left of my freshman year, I can’t help but stop to think about where I was this time last year, and how terrifyingly fast this past year flew by. This time last year I was worried about how I would wear my hair for prom, gaining the motivation to study for finals, using and abusing my senior privileges, finding a graduation dress, and packing for senior week. I had just made my decision for where I would be attending college and I could not have been more excited.

That being said, there was one thing that I was extremely nervous about: finding a good roommate. I was fortunate enough to have found my best friends during high school. My school best friends and my dance best friends were essentially my soul mates and my families, and I truly couldn’t be any luckier to have them in my life. That being said, I placed a lot of pressure on myself to find a good roommate. I wanted that perfect story of finding a best friend in a roommate, someone I could spend all my time with and never get tired of, someone I could laugh with until 3 am, and someone who would tolerate me when I get stressed and snappy. Basically, someone who would join the ranks of my own best friends from home and be just as great as them.

I talked to a bunch of people in the class Facebook page and couldn’t really find anyone that I clicked with. The girls were nice and seemed normal, although everyone posts the same thing (Hi, I’m “insert white girl name” from “insert location” and I really want to make friends and get involved on campus next year. I’m undecided on my major right now. I’m the kind of girl who loves to go out but also loves to stay in and watch Netflix!!) and asks the same generic questions. And then, I found you, and you were everything I was looking for and more.

We officially met for the first time on move in day and sometime between that terribly awkward first interaction and our final days of freshman year, you became one of my favorite people I have ever met (and your family has too).

So, the biggest thing I want to say to you is thank you for being the greatest part of my freshman year. I definitely had times when I missed my friends from home or had an existential mid life crisis wondering if this school was where I really belonged. You, unknowingly, remind me day in and day out that it is.

Thank you for accepting, and usually supporting my napping habit, and occasionally joining in (or taking snapchats of me napping for the world to see).

Thank you for not thinking I'm an absolute psycho every time I get sick or have a slight injury and immediately think I am dying and/or need to amputate what ever part of my body is in pain (including my head, big toe, and ring finger). Thank you for offering up your closet to me anytime I struggle to put an outfit together. Thank you for listening to me complain about boys or tell you the good/bad/embarrassing stories of any male encounter I have. Thank you for pretending to be productive with me but not actually doing anything.

Thank you for going to the gym with me, or sitting with me and eating food while we talk about how we should go to the gym. Thank you for not judging me those days I just really couldn't get out of bed for that 8:30 class and thank you for the times you made me get up anyway. Thank you for taking me along on your family vacations and letting me show you around my small and boring hometown.Thank you for forcing me to do homework whenever I claimed I just couldn't (I'm easily passing all of my classes thanks to you).

Thank you for not being disgusted by my appearance in the morning (or at least pretending not to be). Thank you for the times you brought me my favorite drink whenever I was really stressed or just craving it. Thank you for finding an excuse to make a trip to target any day of the week or for eating off campus all those times we just couldn't eat in a dining hall again. Thank you for making my birthday, and any holiday, feel special, even in our small dorm room

Thank you for pretending to think I am funny, even though we both know I am not. Thank you for singing Hannah Montana songs at 2:30am with me even when we have an 8:30 the next day. Thank you for the late night therapy sessions (or I guess I should say you're welcome?). Thank you for dragging me out of bed those nights I really didn't feel like going out, you were right every time.

Since I have met you, I have become infinitely changed. I have adopted your severe online shopping habit. I always have someone to put me in my place.

I always have some time to tag you in a moderately funny mem. I always have a funny story to tell (that one time you chipped your tooth on a swell bottle, our fathers' bromance, and any boy story ever - you know which ones).

I always have someone to call so I don't look like a loser. And, I officially have someone to live with for another year. I also now always have someone to celebrate a friendship anniversary with every year.

Thank you for the best first year I could have possibly imagined. Thank you for making this place a home. And thank you for being my best friend.

I'll see you soon,

515 forever