Mom You Matter

Mom You Matter

You are not only loved, but admired, cherished, and appreciated.

24
Mom You Matter
Bailey Thomas

Dear Mom,

Here is something for you in case you should ever forget how much you are not only loved, but admired, cherished, and appreciated. Taking care of a child is hard enough as it is, but I know there have been many times I’ve made it much harder.

I remember one time I was playing on the hillside with friends, running too quickly as usual and paying no attention to the sharp rocks underneath me. As my little legs aggressively ran, I soon lost my balance and went sliding down the steep hill. Wincing in pain, I limped back to the house, scratched from head to toe, covered in dirt and twigs, and swelling tears in my eyes. Walking back into the house, my mom, without any hesitation, knew exactly what to do to calm me down and clean me up. That's the thing about moms, they know what to do and how to do it and if they don't, they do it so well that you think they do. Mom, you love your kids unconditionally when you don't have to.

Thank you for always putting your family first. It is easy to take for granted the sincerity and selfness moms exert as children who do not fully understand the capacity of a mother's love. You are everything I aspire to be, but as a young girl, didn't know how to appreciate. Kids eat their snacks and meals each day as a child. But you don't realize she went to the grocery store to specifically walk around and pick out your favorite foods, spent extra of her hard-earned money on the Scooby Doo snacks because the off-brand ones "tasted funny", where she then brought them home and spent her time preparing it for you, and once it was gobbled down, she cleaned it all up. Mom, you worked tirelessly for long hours at your job and as a mother to provide for a child who effortlessly made huge messes too often and always wanted thing after thing.

You, above everyone else, has always been there and supported me. You did all the nasty things mothers do, such as clean up diapers and take care of me when I was sick, gracefully. You loved doing the dirty work because you loved me. You made it through my stubborn years and here you are, still loving me more than ever. You are the only one who truly understands my grumpiness sometimes and that's probably because I got it from you. You also taught me the importance of faith, love, forgiveness, and laughter.

From the beginning you have always been on my side, even if I was straying in the wrong direction. Sometimes I wonder how you do it, watching your little baby wandering around in this big world, running into bumps, but managing to hold your tongue. You watch me succeed and fail, but always are my biggest fan and voice of reason.

I don't think anyone could possibly understand me in the way that you seem to. There isn't a thing or person in this world that could share the bond we have and I notice myself becoming more and more like you every day in the best way. You take the role of a mother and best friend with such grace and poise.

I love you more than I could ever try to explain.

Love,

Your stubborn and messy child