To My College Roommate And Best Friend Of Four Years

There are so many things that I need to thank you for.

22

If I am being completely honest, when I first met you about four years ago I was a little bit skeptical. I have heard the horror stories about choosing to have a random roommate your freshman year of college, so you can’t blame me for thinking that this could have been the worst decision of my life. But, it ended up being the best decision I ever made and a decision that, if I had to, I would make it over and over again. Looking back on the past four years that I have lived with you, there are so many things that I need to thank you for:

Thank you for allowing me to make bad decisions. Whether it was that boy that I gave too much to or watching one too many episodes of Netflix instead of writing a paper, you never failed to sit with me through each and every bad decision. You understood that even though you could see the bad side of these decisions I had to realize this for myself. And because of this, I eventually did.

Thank you for giving me advice that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I still remember when I was crying over a boy junior year and you said to me “all you did was fall for a boy who wasn’t brave enough to catch you” and that has stuck with me ever since.

Thank you for having an obsession with iced coffee. You were always the one person that I knew would never say no to getting coffee with me (even at 9 p.m.). You are also the main reason that I didn’t feel like I had a serious problem when Starbucks workers began recognizing my name and memorizing my coffee order because they memorized yours too.

Thank you for crying on the floor with me. I have begun to realize that there is no better feeling than having a friend that you can cry to and not have to say a single word while doing so. You always knew when I was having a bad day and you always laid on the floor next to me and cried with me.

Thank you for telling me that all of my feelings are valid. There comes a time when people make you feel crazy for feeling the way that you do. You taught me that if I am feeling a certain way that I am feeling that way for a reason and most importantly that I am not at all crazy for it.

Thank you for doing those things we probably shouldn’t have done. You know, those mornings we would wake-up and think about what we did the night before…

Thank you for laughing with me. I have honestly never laughed harder with someone in my life, until I met you.

& lastly, thank you for the past four years. From the day that we met, we instantly became each other’s “person”, shoulder to cry on, co-pilot for random car rides late at night, main source of laughter, and most importantly each other’s home away from home. I cannot thank you enough for the countless nights that we talked about our past mistakes, guys that were jerks to us, and our futures. We are half-way through our last term together and I have no idea where these four years have gone, but I do know that I would never have been able to get through them without you.