To The Woman I Hope To Become

To The Woman I Hope To Become

I see pieces of you in me now and I'm working each day not to let you down.

87
To The Woman I Hope To Become

I come from a line of strong women. Women who broke their backs to make sure their children had everything they needed and more. Women who can cook amazing dishes without measuring out ingredients or referring to a recipe. Women who worked as teachers, beauticians and in any profession under the sun. Women who fell a few times, but they always got up gracefully and more confident. Women who value family and put them first no matter what.

The women in my family are intelligent, well-spoken, God-fearing, and kind. I've always dreamt of taking on their traits and following in their footsteps. But my idea about this changed a little when I was sitting in church recently. The pastor mentioned the importance of creating legacies. He spoke about how we create our own each day and that you don't have to be old to start building them. This made me reflect on my own journey into womanhood, the woman I am today, and the woman I hope to be in the future.

As I age, I hope to always remain kind. Kindness means the world to me. It is not something I take lightly, as I truly believe that it can change the world. I hope that no matter what comes my way, I can always choose to treat others with kindness and that they realize that my kindness is genuine.

I also hope that I continue to dream. My imagination runs wild often. I get so excited about the endless amount of possibilities in life. I dream of my career goals and truly finding something that I love doing each day. I dream about settling down with my future husband and what our wedding will be like, what my bridesmaids will wear. Sometimes I dream about what my children's personalities might be like, and how I can nurture their talents so that they can achieve everything they want in life. I want to remain grounded but allow myself to float in the clouds from time to time when I think about my dreams.

I pray that I never stop searching for the good in life. Whether it is the good in people or the good in tough situations, I want to continue to look for it. It allows me to remain positive in some of the darkest situations. I want to seek out the light to eliminate some of that darkness and to make the world a better place for me and my future family.

I pray that I continue to put my relationship with God first. I'm not a perfect Christian. I make mistakes. I've sinned, but I know that I am forgiven. I know that Jesus loves me and he died for me for that very reason. I pray that my hunger to know Christ never dies. He's kept me and protected me and I believe that he will continue to do so, over and over again. I want to continue to walk and talk with him daily.

There are so many things that I hope for my future self. But most importantly, I hope that I will choose happiness over sadness. Sometimes fear and anxiety try to eat away at my joy. In the past, I've allowed them to. But as I grow, I forgive myself for allowing that to happen and I continue to strive to be carefree. I strive to choose my happiness each day no matter what comes my way.

I won't know what the older me is like until I become her. But I vow to make these hopes and dreams a reality for her. I am starting out on the path of creating my legacy. So that one day, my daughter can add me to the long list of the strong women she came from. And that she can find the strength to continue on my legacy by creating her own one day.