To Everyone Who Went Through A Rough Stage

If you went through an awkward stage you'll definitely relate to some of these!

5
Scot Miller

For most people there are a few years of your life that you wish you could erase from everyone's memory. If you were blessed enough to experience straight teeth, blemish free skin, a good metabolism, and overall sunny personality: you’re in the clear. Unfortunately, some of us weren’t as lucky. Maybe you were packing some extra pounds during puberty or maybe you had braces for six years. Regardless of how you went through it, there are some signs that you will know and appreciate if you went through a rough stage growing up.

P.S. I hope you enjoyed that awkward picture of me and my brother from Disney circa 2008.

The Friends That Stuck With You

First off, I’d like to give a big shout out to all the people that were there during the roughest of times and are still friends with me now. You are all the real MVPs for being there with me and staying by my side. What’s that saying?... If you don’t want me at my worst, you don’t deserve me at my best. Real talk though.

Chunky/ Skinny Stage

Before we fill into what our adult body shape will be there may be some trial and error that goes on. Some kids may be invisible when they turn sideways and have baggy clothes no matter what, even if they get the smallest size. On the other hand you may have extra little chunk that you just have to deal with, better known as baby fat. At all stages of life we should appreciate that everyone comes in all different shapes and sizes. As long as you are happy and healthy that is all that matters!

Brace-face And The Retainer Stage

One of my most negative childhood memories is when a dental hygienist told me at ten years old that I would be a very unattractive adult if I didn’t get my overbite fixed. It seems like now everyone gets braces even if their teeth seem perfect to most people around them. There was nothing like having to take out rubber bands every day at lunch, freaking out when you got something stuck in the worst spot, or that feeling after you get your braces tightened. Everyone who had braces knows how terrible the molding process was that made you gag without fail or how wax never really did what it was supposed to. Even now in college, I guarantee you that if you asked around you’ll have a handful of friends who haven’t worn their retainers since high school and they can feel their teeth shifting. Having braces will always haunt you.

Pimple Galore

Hormones racing, lack of skin care knowledge, or just being prone to sporadic breakouts: sometimes there is nothing you can do to get rid of acne except to wait it out. Countless products and dermatologist visits did nothing for you and that’s okay! So many people freak out about their acne as teenagers but most of the time there isn’t much you can do except keep your face clean and wait until your hormones balance out. I see you out there now with the clear skin you’ve been waiting to show off after your teen years!

Poor Makeup Skills

It seems like every girl over the age of 16 went through the stage where we piled on thick eyeliner on the bottom, our concealer didn’t quite match our skin tone, and white eyeshadow was where it was at. Not sure why this seemed to be the trend at the time but it seems as if now girls are born knowing how to cut crease and create the perfect wing on their eye. Weird to think how much beauty trends have changed over the years. We are no longer living in a time where only makeup artists know how to contour.

Being Smelly

There was never a worse time for changing in the locker room than the stage of life where everyone kinda smelled funny but no one’s parents noticed yet. Imagine: 10-15 kids who haven’t discovered deodorant yet all jammed in one room after gym class. It wasn’t pleasant and it never will be.

"Fashion" Choices

Whether your fashion sins included Bermuda shorts, gauchos, or low rise jeans we have all fallen victim to at least one of the trends on the “worst of the 2000s fashion” list.

The Pop Music Stage

That stage of life where no one defined their music taste yet and we were all just going around singing whatever we heard on the radio including, but not limited to: Ignition, Yeahx3, Holla Back Girl, Bad Day, Temperature, Low, Down, Boom Boom Pow, Poker Face, Tik Tok,California Gurls, and Party Rock Anthem. Classic throwbacks and I'm sure we can all still sing every word.

Looking Back On Old Pictures

Every person that went through a rough stage goes on a hide and destroy mission of all the cringeworthy photos, even if this means throwing out valuable memories. For example when I thought it would be a great idea to cut my own picture out of the $100 year book I had wanted the year before.

Thousands of thoughts run through your head: why was I let out of the house to roam freely in the world, who bought me those checkered bermuda shorts, why did I want bangs covering my eyes, what did I find so appealing about graphic tees with weird sayings on them… maybe that was just me though.There are times when you expose your own awkward stage and there is only one explanation as to why you would inflict that on yourself.

The reason being is that you’re killin’ it on #transformationtuesday and wanted to show everyone how far you have come since the fourth grade when someone asked if you were going to wear a wedding dress to your own wedding because you dressed so tomboy…. Wait is that just me again??

The MySpace Selfie

Don’t lie, you know the angle I’m talking about. Happy to say the era of MySpace selfies is over, I guess everyone's arms got tired of holding their camera up so high. If you didn’t have a MySpace I bet you had the beginning technology of a webcam to back you up. At times the classic webcam selfie can be even more disturbing than the MySpace selfie. Don’t deny it exists, I can spot a liar from a mile away and lying ain’t cute HONEY. Accept those terrible selfies for what they are and just be grateful you realized the error of your ways.

The Most Rewarding Glo Up

At the end of the day remember that going through that awkward stage made you who you are today. It was a humbling experience that you should never take for granted. Respect yourself and post that glo up! And keep in mind kids: don’t make fun of people in middle school because you never know what they’ll grow up to be like!

Photo evidence of me and my brother glo'd up two years ago at my Sweet 16