To Build a Home

To Build a Home

Foundations take time, not money.

38
To Build a Home

I mentioned the idea of upgrading our bed to my boyfriend, just about two weeks ago. Nothing was wrong with our bed, other than the fact that Zach is a tall man, and we both sleep with our arms across our chest- meaning we just don't have the room for both of us to sleep in a comfortable position. After a haggling battle between Mattress Firm and Ashley's, we found the bed that was just what we longed for: a King bed, a beautiful bed frame, and matching nightstands that I have begged for, for the past 2 years. Having these pieces of furniture would complete our entire house- living room, guest room, bedroom, etc.

I've been longing for the nightstands since we bought the first bed frame we owned- a gray, traditional style from Ashley's in the Lettner collection. It always felt like the missing piece to our home, and to compensate for the missing nightstands I had created a collection of tables that didn't really fit, but did the job. Sometime last week, those beautiful tables were replaced with what I've been desiring for the most, and the sight of having the finishing pieces carefully placed in our bedroom entered my reality. But what I didn't realize, or at least never appreciated- was the long path that led us to the newly welcomed feeling of having a fully furnished home.

Our journey to creating our home began in the first week of October, 2017. We had only been dating for just shy of four months, and started with our first bed- and of course, the trash bags filled with the smaller belongings we each owned. Shortly after, we bought dressers, too big of a couch, and one nightstand. That lasted us until after our deployment together, where we splurged on a bed frame, dining room table, and the best sound system you could find. Each purchase had its own delicate memory- we bought the bed after we found out he was going to receive BAH, post-deployment furniture that we saved for together on cruise, and a soundbar that may or may not have had the cops called on me. Our living room television was won at my first commands Christmas party- I mean, the list absolutely goes on. Ultimately, everything we have in this house is paid for- and I strongly believe that if we had rushed to buy everything at once, we wouldn't have the same quality furniture that we have today. Our furniture is not only a symbol of our taste combined, but a symbol of us together. Our relationship has been a long journey, and I absolutely mean that literally. We've been across the world together, completed a road trip across America together, and have now lived in four different homes. We've seen each other in our worst days, and in our happiest moments.

I've learned to love that moving slowly while achieving quality results is better than running and burning out too quickly. If those nightstands would have been mine years prior, I wouldn't have the same love for them as I do now.

If you were to talk to me four years ago, I'll transparently say that I wouldn't be singing the same tune. Honestly, I'd be saying the complete opposite. However I've learned to be appreciative of each day and what it brings, not what the day could bring later on down the road. Each day that passes isn't a day that we can have back, and if we live for the future- we end up missing the building of the foundation, what holds and builds us together. For that reasoning, I chose to focus on building the strongest foundation I could have, with the man of my absolute dreams.

To each new day, each new piece of furniture, and each new recipe we attempt to make- you'll always be my favorite person to share it with.

Forever, and always.