Tis The Season: Then And Now

Tis The Season: Then And Now

Cue Mariah Carey....
24

It's that time of year again. Where even if it doesn't snow the second November 1st rolls around, we break out the red and green, blue and gold, and blast Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas". Have you ever noticed how much happier people seem to be? All the little things that typically annoy us like spilling our coffee on our new white shirt or the dog waking us up at 6 a.m. don’t for the time being. It’s incredible how every town seems to do a 180 for two months out of the year. And as I look around I see the change more clearly. Maybe it’s because I’m not as naïve as I once was when I was little or maybe it’s because I am finally getting into touch with reality.

In my house, the second the leaves turn color my mom is counting down the days until Christmas movies appear on Hallmark. You know you’re an addict when you’ve seen them all ten times over (guilty). There is something about knowing that even when things go wrong they always turn out alright in those movies. Christmas miracles seem real and provide a sense of hope and a few clichés.

My perspective on the most festive time of year differs from the majority. I wasn’t raised with a tree by my fireplace. I grew up knowing the truth about Santa. The colors red and green made me feel more separate from my friends than usual. However, I didn’t let that stop me. I decorated my friends’ trees because they “always did it” and thought it to be boring. I reveled in the decorations and the ornaments. My mom never lit candles, so walking into one of my friend’s houses and smelling pumpkin spice or cinnamon was comforting.

Although I never celebrated Christmas in my house, I know all the songs. I’ve learned all the traditions. I adore Rudolf and the Grinch. The only difference between me and them was that I get presents over the span of eight days not one.

Do I think it’s a bit much to put out the wreaths and snow globes before Halloween is over? Yes. But if that means that the world is happy and at peace, even if it’s for a little while, then so be it.

The beauty of this time of year lies within the lit of cities, the white snowfall, and ugly sweaters. There’s a glow that blankets the world. The same one that occurs after sex. You’re just more relaxed and connected than you were before. Your content and living in bliss until morning comes.

You might be agreeing with me, you may not. But you cannot deny the tingly feeling that sends chills down your spine when you hear the introduction to “All I Want For Christmas."