Tips for lighting, sound, and filming
1. Phones and computers are great but be mindful of your background (i.e. a plain white wall is not very interesting). Be creative with the background and look for some “texture.”
2. Lighting is important. Make sure you are not “backlit” like sitting in front of an open window or door. It’s always best to have even lighting from above or in front of you.
3. When pressing record, always
4. For sound, be mindful of background noises like cars, fans,
5. Avoid logos on shirts, hats, walls etc. It’s best to wear solid colors or try to minimize patterns.
6. If you are filming using a smartphone, make sure you record it horizontally!
How to craft a great response
1. When responding to a prompt, make sure to repeat the question before you answer (ie. if the question is “Do you think liking someone else’s I
2. Make sure to try and reduce the use of words like “um” or “ah’ or “like” This will help with editing
3. Looking directly at the camera is always preferred. If you are uncomfortable doing this, have a friend shoot the video and have them stand on either side of the phone. You should look at them when responding and try not to look around too much
4. Above all, be yourself. Try to respond as if you’re just talking to someone close to you and don’t try to respond the way you “think” you’re supposed to respond. Just speak from the heart.