Tips For Speaking A Second Language Abroad

Rosetta Stone ain't got nothin' on you.

22

1. Don’t be embarrassed if you need to ask someone to repeat something.

2. Don't stress about conjugating verbs correctly.

Ah, good ol' verb conjugations aka the reason you have trust issues. If you don’t use the right verb tense, your high school Spanish teacher might be disappointed, but most people won't hold it against you.

3. It's okay to ask people to slow down if you can't understand them.

You don't want to end up like this:

4. Grammatical errors are totally normal and expected.

The fear of making mistakes shouldn’t stop you from speaking. Perfection is overrated anyway, right?

5. Ask the native people to correct your mistakes.

Don't be embarrassed to ask for help because this is the best way to learn. Speaking with natives in a relaxed, non-academic setting will be far less intimidating. You can also pick up some cool foreign slang phrases while you're at it.

6. Nonverbal communication is key.

If you don't know what someone is saying, don't panic right away. Use clues such as gestures, facial expressions, and voice inflection to figure it out.

7. Challenge yourself.

Practice as much as possible by putting all of your social media outlets in the language you're trying to learn. Then give yourself a well-deserved high five for all of your hard work.

8. A glass of wine always helps.

Alcohol can't fix ALL your problems, but it might help you loosen up a little if you're trying to befriend some native speakers at the discotecas.

9. It's okay if your accent sucks.

Speaking in a terrible accent is better than not speaking at all. When morale is low, always remember that there is definitely someone else whose accent is worse than yours.

10. Don't be discouraged if someone starts speaking to you in English.

Although "womp" might be your initial reaction,you still have the option of speaking in another language if you are determined enough.Explain that you want to practice, and most people will respect your request.

11. The native people are excited to speak with you.

They will be thrilled that you are trying to learn their language and, more importantly, they want to help you learn.

12. Fake it till you make it.

Act confidently even if you're not because eventually you will become more comfortable speaking a second language. In the meantime, maintain realistic expectations because it doesn't happen overnight. You got this. Or should I say, "tú lo tienes."