How To Not Be A 'Roommate Horror Story' Type Of Roommate
Social Life

5 Memorable Mnemonics To Avoid Being The Roommate People Tell Horror Stories About

Tips on not becoming the star in a roommate horror story.

78

Whether you read them on social media or hear about them from a friend or family member, roommate horror stories are everywhere. Having to share a room with someone else, or multiple people, maybe a brand new experience for some moving away from home for the first time.

So how do you avoid being THAT roommate, the one that makes strangers cringe? Here are some tips!

1. If you Didn't Buy it, Don't Try It

Come home late at night a little disoriented? Wake up to realize the bed you're in is definitely not yours, but your roommate's who's away for the weekend? Don't just brush it off. Talk to them, explain what happened, and offer to clean their sheets. They may be upset, but not nearly as upset as if they find out you did it and didn't bother to fix the problem. Along those lines, steer clear of toothbrushes, razors, shampoo, and the cereal bowl of milk you will inevitably want to steal because you're out and will they really even notice (oh, they'll notice). Don't touch what's not yours and if you accidentally mess up - make it right. Swipey No Swipey.

2. Overnight Guest, Make Sure They're Dressed

Some people have no problem with nudity, which is awesome! Embrace the bod! However, sometimes people may not want to wake up and see a completely naked stranger standing in their room. Make sure that if someone spent the night last night, they at least put on clothes before entering a common space to avoid any awkward unwanted interactions with your roommates. Bonus Points if you warn your roommate about the guest spending the night ahead of time.Triple bonus points if you can get that person in and out of your dorm without waking anyone up.

3. Feeling Sick, Move Quick

Nothing is worse than waking up in the morning to the smell of your roommates' vomit or urine because they got too drunk last night and couldn't make it to the bathroom. If you make the mess, clean it up. It may be disgusting, but not nearly as disgusting for someone it doesn't belong to. Don't want to clean it? Pay someone else to do it. You never know, sometimes college kids are desperate. Long story short, apologize, clean it up, and next time drink closer to a bathroom.

4. Roommates Ex, Say No to Sex

It happens to the best of us. Your roommate has a hot boyfriend or girlfriend who just looks so picturesque walking around half dressed, and then they break up, and you can definitely tell they're into you a little bit. DONT. DO. IT. Your roommate should be able to come home to a safe space where they can relax and cope with the breakup. Seeing their ex sneak out of your room in the morning? Not helpful. There are plenty of fish in the sea. Leave that fish alone.

5. Sex in the Shower, Keep it Under an Hour.

Just think of your roommate, waking up in the morning before an exam, dreaming of taking a perfect relaxing shower. Only for them to find out you and your significant other are in there together. Fifteen minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes later and they are angry and shower-less as they head to their exam. Don't get me wrong, if you want to embrace your wild side and enjoy every common area surface your room has to offer, then go for it — life's short. But be respectful of your roommates' time, space, and personal areas. Most importantly, bleach it up.

So in conclusion, take a step back, think about your choices, and don't be THAT roommate!