How To Survive Southern Heat As A Northerner In The South
Travel

Lifesaving Tips All Northerners Need To Survive The Hell That Is Southern Heat

I give much respect for the people who live in The South during the summer.

249
woman standing in sun

Since being at LSU for almost two weeks I am so baffled by how hot it can actually get walking around campus. I get to classes sweating but others aren't even phased by the heat. When trying to pack for college everyone told me that I didn't need sweaters, or jackets because it doesn't get cold until November or later. I have been raised in the cold and in every weather situation that came with it, I wished to be laying in the hot summer sun. Now that I'm here, here are some tricks that I have learned to save myself from a heat stroke.

1. Find every shortcut through buildings that have AC

Even if it is not the fastest route to get to class or an important event on time. Going through air-conditioned buildings as you're walking everywhere is such a feeling of relief when the cold air surrounds you

2. LAYERS… LAYERS... LAYERS

Mother nature tries to trick you in the morning when its colder out than what it will be for the rest of the day, but it never fails to get hot by noon and you're sweating and people are looking at you like your crazy wearing leggings and a sweatshirt. Layers are key so your comfortable all day long.

3. Use a cold water washcloth behind your neck

This is a cheap and easy way to cool down your body temperature after you have been out in the hot sun. This works best if you wet it and put in in the freezer for an hour then use it.

4. Always drink cold water

It is essential to always drink water in the heat. I have had to drink more water in the Southern sun than the Northern sun because of the difference in temperature. Always hydrate yourself because then you will prevent dehydration.

With these tips from some of my new Southern friends and family, I have been able to manage the heat and enjoyed the summer heat that I would not be getting home in New Jersey. Always remember to stay safe because the Southern heat is not for the faint of heart; especially a northerner.