10 Tips For PNMs

10 Tips For PNMs

Finding your home: how to handle the stress, the smiles, and everything in between.
5

It's that time of year again. Fall is upon us and that means that sorority recruitment is about to begin. For us sisters, it's another fall and another recruitment on the other side. For potential new members, it is the beginning of a life changing experience that decides how you will spend your next four years. As a PNM, the process can be nerve-wracking and exhausting, but with just a few tips, you're bound to survive.

1. Don't force feelings.

If you don't connect with girls in a specific house, that's okay. You aren't going to hit it off with girls from every single house.

2. Be careful with your outfit choices.

Leave your crop tops and disco shorts at home. This week is about finding which sisterhood you fit with based on your personality, not on your looks. If you're confused on an outfit, go for a more modest look. You will look mature and be taken seriously.

3. It's okay to cry.

Whether it's at your favorite house on preference round or in your dorm room at 3 in the morning, crying is normal. This week is full of long hours. You feel like every move you make is crucial to your success and it can be hard to relax. This process is emotionally and physically draining and it's okay to let all your emotions out.

4. Find time to relax.

As you're busy running from party to party while simultaneously trying to find time to eat, sleep, and unpack your stuff in your dorm, you tend to put your wellness on hold. Take. A. Break. Whether it is a long, hot shower or a power nap, your body will thank you later.

5. Trust the system.

I know what you're thinking, "How am I going to find my home in a matter of seven days?" It sounds crazy that you will find the girls you will spend your entire college career within such a short time, but somehow, it works. Sit back and let this seemingly impossible system work its magic.

6. Attitude is everything.

You might not end up where you want to go, but that doesn't mean you don't end up where you needed to go. Sometimes things don't go as planned, but with a positive mindset, you might fall in love with a house that you never expected to adore.

7. It's okay to get dropped.

This is nothing personal. Sometimes, girls might see you fitting better at another house, or they just don't see you being happy there. You don't want to be in a sisterhood that doesn't see you a part of it anyway. Just think, you're one house closer to finding your perfect fit, the houses that dropped you just made it a little easier for you to make your decision.

8. Take the water.

There is no hidden secret about the water that is given to you in every house. It is water. We aren't poisoning you. It's not a trick question. If you're thirsty, drink! And besides, it gives you something to have in your hands and it makes you feel a little less awkward.

9. It's not the end of the world if you don't look perfect.

It is August, we know it's hot. You are walking miles every day to get to parties in the blistering heat. If you're a little sweaty and your hair doesn't look perfect, we will not judge you. We get to sit in nice air conditioning all day and we are so grateful, but we were once in your position and we know how miserable it was.

10. Follow your heart.

Yes, it's corny, but it's true. This is your decision. You can Instagram stalk every house, listen to your friends' opinions, or choose a house based on stereotypes, but just remember one thing: this is YOUR choice. In the end, you're the one that has to live with whatever decision you make. So if you follow your heart and make your choices on genuine aspects, you're bound to end up in the sisterhood that is right for you.

Good luck PNMs!