Advice For High School Juniors From Seniors

Junior year survival tips from the people who just lived through it.

paris
paris
35

Junior year is widely considered the most intense, stressful year of high school. But, do not fear- you can and will get through it. In fact, high school seniors are living proof that it's possible. I asked my fellow seniors for their best tips to survive Junior year, and here's what we came up with.

1. Get Organized!

If you haven't already developed responsible work and study habits, now is definitely the time. Junior year will probably not be 100% smooth sailing work-wise. School work and extracurriculars become much more manageable once you increase your organization and productivity. If you tend to procrastinate, make a conscious effort to complete your homework right away. It may help you to outline your day the night before, figuring out when you will have time to complete work in between school and activities.

2. Visit Colleges!

Try to do all of your college visits early. If you finish visiting all the schools you're interested in during your junior academic year, you'll be all ready to fill out your applications and write your essays over the summer. Plus, it's better to visit colleges during the academic year so you can get a vibe of what the student body is like. Trust me, senior year will be much less stressful if you get all of that college stuff out of the way beforehand.

3. Take Standardized Tests Early!

If you're planning on taking a standardized test such as the SAT or ACT, it's best to get it out of the way as soon as possible! Nobody enjoys test prep, but putting it off will only drag the process out and make it less bearable. Regardless of how you plan to study (with a tutor, in a class, or on your own), it's not too soon to get started!

4. Focus on school!

If there's one year you should really be focusing on your grades, this is it. You've definitely heard this before, but junior year grades really matter on college applications. If your freshman and sophomore year grades aren't stellar, it's not too late to turn your GPA around. Put in that extra effort this year and your hard work will definitely pay off. Plus, colleges like to see grade improvement!

5. Try new things!

Junior year is a great time to participate in extracurricular activities and further explore your interests. You should definitely continue the activities you've done and enjoyed in the past, but also consider trying some new ones! Take every opportunity that comes your way, even if it's new and daunting- you never know where it could lead you.

6. Spend time with friends!

Before you know it, you and your high school friends will be splitting up and moving on. Be sure to cherish the time you spend with them now, because the next two years will go by much faster than you expect. In between all your hard work, don't forget to have some fun with the people you love!

7. Live in the moment!

Soon enough, you'll be going off to college or wherever else your independent life may take you. Enjoy this year as much as possible while it lasts. Surround yourself with great friends, do what makes you happy, and try as many new things as you can. This is a time for exploration and self-discovery, so make the most of it!

Now that you have some helpful tips, I'm confident that you'll thrive in your junior year of high school. Remember that with the right balance of responsibility, hard work, and fun, you can make this year awesome. You've got this!