5 Tips For A Future Intern

5 Tips For A Future Intern

Because "Do your work" and "Don't get fired" are not enough
109

During this week, I started the second phase of my program whilst abroad: the internship. As I go to work every day and go about my day in the office, I’ve realized that there were some things I wish I knew before going into the “work life.” In hopes that I can help at least one person, here are some tips I would give someone in my current situation:

1. It's okay to be scared.

It is okay to fear your first days or feel intimidated by the company, but do not let your fears shoot down your courage and work ethic.

2. You are there for a reason.

They HIRED you for a reason; don’t undermine that.

3. Ask questions.

It is better to ask someone how to do something and do it right the first time than to guess your way around the matter and have to do it again.

4. “Work life” is very different to “student life.”

You don’t have breaks in between work (except for your lunch break, of course). It is full-on cramming from 9 to 6, or whatever your schedule is, and you must be willing to do whatever necessary for the company.

5. Remember to appreciate the experience and to soak up as much information as possible.

You are there to work, but also to learn. Don’t forget to try to retain all information you can from the company and the industry.

Internships are great opportunities for college students, especially if you are not really sure what work will be after you graduate. Also, its work experience, which is something that companies look for when hiring, so you knock that necessity out of the way. It is an experience that allows you to grow as or into an adult. Don’t take it for granted and enjoy every minute of it. And as Queen RuPaul says...