How To Survive A 7:30 A.M. College Class
Education

Everything You Can Do To Make Your 7:30 A.M. Class Feel Less Like Hell On Earth

Yes, it happens to the best of us...

855
girl in class

Being in the last orientation group I had a pretty good feeling that I was going to be put in at least one 7:30 class and sure enough, I was — psychology 2000. Now don't get me wrong my professor is great, but why do colleges and universities think that college kids would willingly wake up that early to learn? Everytime my alarm goes off I want to roll back into bed and forget that I have to go, but because I want a good grade and half of my final grade is by actually going to class and participating, I end up going.

It took me a while to get into a routine and figure out how to stay awake and remember what was said in the lecture. So whether you have an early scheduled class now or next semester, here is some advice to be a good attentive student at what feels like the crack of dawn.

1. Get a good night sleep 

It is essential to get at LEAST 6 hours of sleep in order to even function, I always try to get a little more but sometimes the college grind takes over.

2. COFFEE

I am now probably addicted to coffee and caffeine, because when I do not drink coffee before or during my class then I cannot even keep my eyes open. I also like caffeinated tea if you don't like the taste of coffee.

3. Eat an actual breakfast 

I didn't think I would have enough time to go to eat breakfast because my dining hall opens up only a half hour before I have class, but I noticed by only eating a granola bar it would not give me enough energy for my two, morning classes. Make sure to eat a balanced breakfast of fruit, carbs, protein, and vegetables

4. Listen to a good playlist on your walk to class 

I have seen a big difference if I walked to class and listening to music vs. not doing it. The perfect song can put you in a good mood and set up the rest of the day and your attitude towards it.

5. Sit close to the front 

The closer you are to the front the more information you will retain, and the less distracted you will be.

6. Take notes 

By actively taking notes, you are forced to stay awake, and retain things from lecture.

7. Drink cold water 

Studies have shown that cold, lemon-infused water can be just as effective as coffee in the morning. Also, let's not forget that water with lemon is packed with antioxidants to keep you feeling fresh, rejuvenated, and healthy all day long.

8. Don't go to class in PJ's 

As appealing as it might sound do not go in comfy clothes because the more regret you will have for not skipping the class and sleeping in.

9. Stretch 

Get rid of that stiff "I-can't-get-out-of-bed" feeling. Take five minutes, standing or sitting, and realign your body, even if you do it in the lecture seats.

10. You will feel great walking out of class

Actually going and winning the battle of trying to get yourself up and to go is a great feeling, walking out of class with the satisfaction of going and learning is something that I especially take for granted sometimes.

Since doing this, I have found myself remembering stuff that happened in lecture and actually doing better on the homework, quizzes, and more importantly the tests. If you do unfortunately have to take an early class, remember, you aren't the only one, and you will get through it just like your fellow classmates did at one part of their college career.