9 Things Every College Senior Should Know

It sure did fly by fast!

103

My senior year of college starts in 5 weeks. Crazy! College flew by. While I'm dreading going back to school, I'm excited because that makes it even sooner to graduate. I've been in school since I was 4 years old, so I'm completely done. For now anyway...Here are some things you can do during your senior year to help the course of your life.

1. Apply to A LOT of jobs, even before you graduate.

Getting a job post graduation can be difficult, and you'd rather be ahead of the game. If you play your cards right, you can have a job even before you graduate. Just go on job websites, and apply to every job that interests you. It will pay off.

2. Be smart with your finances.

Take money from each paycheck, and deposit it into your savings account. Most of us have student loans (UGH), and you don't want to have a negative amount in your account when that monthly student loan bill comes in. Also, it's just good to save. You always need money in case of emergencies and eventually you'll want to do big life things like purchase a home or have children. Both of which, require money.

3. Re-vamp your resume.

Prospective employers judge you and your character based on your resume. So you want to ensure it's the best it could possibly be! Your resume can be the final determinant on whether or not you get the job. You're not in high school anymore, so if you have high school jobs that have no relevance to the positions you're seeking, remove them from your resume. For example, I worked at a hospital when I was in high school, I removed that from my resume because I'm looking for finance positions and that has no relevance at all. I can speak about it in the interview, but it doesn't need to be on my resume. High school extracurricular activities can be removed too. Focus on college accomplishments.

4. Find out what you really want to do.

To be completely candid, you should know by now, but if you don't that's ok! Do research. Look up different fields you could get into pertaining to your major. Look up positions and job titles. Maybe even do an internship so you get a feel for the job.

5. Learn how to master an interview.

The job search is extremely competitive! Look up sample interview questions and memorize good answers to them. Ask logical questions. When it comes to an interview it's eat or be eaten.

6. Clean up your social media.

Chances are, you probably partied in college, and have the pictures/videos to prove it. It's time to get those off of your social medias. A high-end employer doesn't want to see you twerking in a frat house. They won't think that's funny. Make your accounts private to ensure those won't be as easily accessible. Or do the mature thing and remove them altogether

7. Make sure your cover letters are up to par.

Your cover letter means a lot to employers, and you want to make sure it's perfect. You know yourself better than anyone else, so brag about all you've done!

8. Obtain/earn some certifications.

Many certifications pertaining to your major can be obtained online for free. Take advantage of those wonderful opportunities, you can bring a lot to the table. It's better to be over-qualified than under-qualified.

9. Go to career fairs.

They're put in place to benefit you, so you should go! You'll get to meet prospective employers and network. Put yourself out there!