6 Safety Tips For Breast Cancer Patients During The COVID-19 Outbreak

You have to be extra careful these days.

178

Cancer is one of the most devastating illnesses in humankind. It is caused when cells start forming and growing abnormally in the body. These abnormal cysts start attacking and destroying other healthy body cells, weakening the body irrevocably. Breast cancer is a form of cancer that has a very high diagnosis rate and generally affects women, in particular, characterized by lumps in breasts, redness/pitting/flaking/scaling/peeling of skin on the breasts, newly inverted nipples, etc. and claims several fatalities each year.

Though cancer is a disease that strikes fear and despair once uttered, it is nothing in comparison to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, bringing the lives of everyone on the planet to a shutdown. COVID-19 is a strain of the novel coronavirus which has led to a global outbreak and was first reported in China in December 2019. It belongs to the SARS- CoV-2 family of viruses that cause common colds to serious respiratory problems like Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome (MET). It spreads contagiously and fast via droplets, and thus human contact must be avoided. Though fever, fatigue, myalgia, headache, cough are some of the exhibited symptoms of COVID – Asymptomatic patients exhibit no symptoms of the virus but are carriers. Hence social distancing is the best norm to deal with this virus.

Patients should get in touch with a cancer specialist and the team as soon as they observe symptoms of breast cancer in their body. They should chalk out the best plan for medical distancing to protect their health and safety. Though the CDC says that there is a low risk of serious illness from coronavirus, this point does not apply to cancer patients.

Breast cancer patients are at higher risk of contracting severe illnesses if they test positive for COVID-19 according to the best breast cancer doctors as breast cancer treatment therapies like chemotherapy, radiotherapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapies and more lead to the weakening of the immune system and causes a higher risk of complications. Individuals with existing lung problems and metastatic lung cancer are at high risk as well. If it's been a few months since you've undergone such treatment, there's no need to worry as the immune system recovers in this time frame.

Here are a few ways to avoid catching the deadly virus:

1. Don't go to the hospital unless you absolutely have to. 

As the risk of infection is higher at hospitals due to the influx of patients, delaying procedures that aren't dire, necessary or emergencies is advisable to reduce infection and conserve resources as well.

2. Opt for virtual checkups

Change the way you get in touch with your doctor and cancer team. Opt for telephonic interviews or video sessions and consultation. Your doctor knows what's best for you and he will take care to ensure you're provided with physical treatment if needed, so don't fret about virtual conferences. You can seek the advice of the best breast cancer doctor using video consultation

3. Administer flu shots if you live in a high-risk location. 

4. Alter and devise your treatment schedule to ensure your safety. 

5. Minimize physical visits and increase the duration of intervals between successive visits. 

6. Wear a mask! 

As well as undergoing screening or breast cancer surgery, and follow physical distancing rules while visiting a hospital.

With these tips in your mind, you will defeat cancer without being afflicted by the COVID-19 and soon get your life back on track to healthiness.