Tips For Being A Good Significant Other

Tips For Being A Good Significant Other

Take everything one step at a time; you can't rush great things.

523
Tips For Being A Good Significant Other
Maddison Barra

It seems like today's relationships are getting shorter and people are caring less. We put so much strain on looking like the perfect couple instead of being a great one and that's really sad. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to be in a relationship or just dating around, but if you do find that one person that makes everything seem a little brighter then there are some simple things I believe everyone should do in order to make the relationship the best it can be.

Listen to what your significant other has to say

Sure, it may not be the most interesting thing in the world to you, but it won't kill you to listen. Keep in mind, when I say listen I don't mean in one ear and out the other with a slight nod every once in awhile. I mean truly listen; give valuable input and let them know that you care about what they're saying.

Always text or call back

This probably sounds silly and makes us millennials seem like all we care about are our phones, but really, it's just courtesy to respond to people, especially the people that care about you. If someone is taking the time to shoot a text or pick up the phone, whether it be to ask a question or to let you know they're thinking of you or they simply just want to talk, they deserve a response.

Let them know how much you care

It's always nice to be reminded how much you are loved by others. This does not mean you constantly need to be feeding them compliments or buying them gifts (that's honestly just annoying), it means the little things. Tell them to text you when they get home or send them funny pictures that remind you of them. It all adds up and it just makes you smile when you see that name pop up on your screen.

Don't bottle up your issues

This is just a bad idea that can lead to toxic ideas. If you are constantly holding things in for the sake of not having an argument over it then things will just get worse as all of those small things add up. It can be nerve-wracking to discuss the thing you want to be different, but in the long run, it will keep you both happy.

Share your passions with them

Let them know what you dream about when you're planning your future. It's an amazing feeling when you can look into the eyes of another person and share with them all the things you wish for yourself and to have them just listen. It opens up your relationship to a whole new level and it brings you so much closer together.

Give them your all

Don't hold back. Heartbreak is scary and can happen to the best of us, but you don't want to look back on life and regret not giving everything you have to that person who could have been you're all.

I'm guessing it's hard for you to take advice from a 19-year-old who doesn't know a whole lot about the world yet, and maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this isn't how you build a strong relationship and I've been doing it wrong for three years. I'll probably never know if I'm right or not, but for now I choose to believe that I am. Take from this what you want and always remain true to yourself. Never change for anyone because if you love yourself first, loving others comes easy.