3 Helpful Tips For Creating And Accomplishing Goals

It's that time of year.

24
Photo by Ava Sol on Unsplash

For many, the start of a new year means goal-setting. But how do you stick to the resolutions you've made? Here are a few tips that have helped me reach the milestones I've wanted to pass, both short-term and long-term.

1. Break your goals down into specific, bite-sized steps.

As a writer, I can't finish the first draft of a novel in a month, but I can write 2,000 words each day for 30 days. See the difference? Goals are a lot more manageable when you know exactly what small things you have to do now, this minute, to start achieving them. Figuring out the practical steps to realizing your dreams will help keep you on track and also cut down on the intimidation that often comes with New Year's resolutions.

2. Write them down, write them down, write them down.

I can't tell you how many times I've made confident resolutions in my head as I go to bed at night, only to wake up the next morning and waste most of the day on my phone. I need visual reminders of the things I want to accomplish if I'm actually going to accomplish them.

Grab a planner and lay out what you intend to do each day. Or post sticky notes around your room. Not only is there a sense of accountability that comes with a goal being down on paper, but there's also that great satisfaction you get when you cross something off your to-do list.

3. Remember that it's OK to make mistakes.

We're already in the new year, and maybe by this point you've remembered how difficult resolutions can be to keep and have broken them. That's OK. Pick yourself back up and start over.

You don't have to meet your goals perfectly in order to experience growth.

If you get off track sometimes, just remember: as long as you're actively working toward what you want to accomplish, even if you don't always get it right, you'll still end up a better person than you were before.

Resolutions can be challenging, but they're never impossible.