Tinder: Dating in the Modern Age

Tinder: Dating in the Modern Age

48
Tinder: Dating in the Modern Age

As the realm of technology is rapidly expanding into uncharted dimensions, our world is evolving into a web of connectivity. It has come to dominate every aspect of life; from cooking to exercising, banking to gaming, navigating to photo editing - there’s an app for everything. But now…dating?

eHarmony commercials have been running for the past decade, amusing people with phony looking couples that were said to have met on the web. Who actually uses eHarmony to meet people? people wondered. The idea of a romance facilitated by the Internet was foreign to most. These websites have never been taken seriously, until now. 

As technology continued to progress over time with the introduction of smart-phones, dating websites and apps became more mainstream. The most recent, Tinder, has become widely known to the Millennial Generation. Tinder is a smartphone app that connects users in a common geographical radius. Users can swipe or tap on a candidate and if two reciprocate positively, a match is made. A private chat can then be opened and the two parties can get to talking and meeting up.

When Tinder first launched at college campuses, people seemed to take it as a joke, using it for amusement with friends. But now, young professionals in America’s biggest cities are using apps like Tinder to make REAL connections with people in their area. Many have found dating difficult after college, especially those who have moved to large, new cities. With busy work schedules, meeting people can get tough and usually is limited to conversations in bars. People are connecting using matchmaking apps with an ease that didn’t formerly exist.

The spread of Tinder has caused other dating apps to pop up on the radar as well. Hinge is an app that connects people who you only have mutual friends with on Facebook. Grouper connects two groups of friends together for drinks to lower the stress of a one-on-one date. There are apps and sites that cater to people of different religions, races, and ages. 

The evolution of romance with new technology is lowering old-fashioned dating boundaries. But is the widespread acceptance and use of these apps causing a breakdown of conventional dating habits? Romance is supposed to be organic, free flowing and natural. People are supposed to meet on their own, not through the help of a third party source like a phone or computer.

Are these apps ruining traditional romance, or do we need to accept that our ever changing world is making that notion obsolete?