Timing Is Always Key

Timing Is Always Key

How timing can change everything you know.

1
Indianapolis Motor Speedway

A little over four years ago, I lost my first male role model. When I lost him, my world changed and came crumbling down. Now here I am, a little over four years later, reflecting on how drastically my life has changed. I have now realized timing for anything is key. The Brickyard just happened and I got to spend it at one of my favorite places. Indianapolis Motor Speedway has always been a part of my life and now it has an even bigger impact on my life.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway is one of the first memories I have with my dad. Growing up, my dad would take me to the Brickyard 400 and the Indianapolis 500. Well, now that I get to work at IMS, these events mean more to me than anything. The Brickyard just happened, and once again I was there. There is nothing better than getting to be happy and celebrating my dad's life by being at IMS.

On July 19, I got to spend an evening at IMS in the Pagoda and on the track. I got to ride around the track in a Camaro and I know my dad was smiling down on me. I was able to call my mom that night and tell her just how excited I had been, but not being able to tell my dad was sad.

July 19 is the day before my dad's death anniversary. My dad passed away on July 20, 2013, eight days before the 2013 Brickyard 400. This year, two days after July 20, I got to be back at IMS working the one event that means so much more to me than any other sporting event.

On race day, July 23, I got to spend part of the race in the pits, getting a once in a lifetime experience. The only way that getting to work in the pits was made possible is my dad had to have sent a sign that they needed me in the pits.

That day was definitely the best day I have ever had at the track. I also know my dad was watching over me that day. While I had fun yesterday, it was definitely hard not being to call him and tell him just how much fun it was.

For four years, I have not had my dad around for some of the biggest events in my life. He was not around for prom, high school graduation, final gymnastics meets, band concerts, and move-in day in college.

Looking into the future, he will not be around for college graduation, getting married, and having kids. Being able to work and have amazing opportunities at IMS, especially this past week, helped make this years anniversary of my dad's death not as painful as in the past. This is just a prime example of what timing can do for a person.