It seems as though I waited my whole life to turn 18. All the possibilities and freedoms that age held dazzled me. Graduating high school, moving away to college, registering to vote, buying “scratchies," getting a credit card - all were so exciting to me. As much fun as those first few months of “freedom” were, here I am, almost three years later, wishing I could rewind to 10 years old. I cant be the only one who sometimes truly believes that adulthood just isn’t for them. The struggle is really real when you find yourself in the following situations:

1. Applying for Jobs/Creating a Resume

When you’re a teenager, most “jobs” that you have are for family or friends, paid under-the-table in cash, and don’t require much skill or professionalism. Everything from babysitting to raking leaves and shoveling snow made you a pretty decent amount of money for a 15-year-old.

However, the job search during and after college isn’t that simple. Having a job as an adult is a necessity, especially if you’ll be living on your own or paying back student loans. Gone are the days where your parents could ask their friends if they needed help watching their kids. Creating a resume and finding a job is hard work, and it's only half the battle. You spend stress-filled hours upon hours searching through listings only to apply somewhere that doesn’t even offer you an interview. If you’re lucky enough to land one, you have to dress and act professionally enough to survive an interview. You then wait days to find out of you’ve been offered an entry-level position somewhere you don’t even really want to work. The search seems never-ending sometimes. Anyone have a lawn they need mowed?!

2. Whenever You’re Sick

No matter if it’s a runny nose or the full-blown flu, there’s never a time when you’ve wanted to crawl back into your mom’s arms more. As an adult, you realize the world doesn’t stop turning just because you have a little cough. Most times, our responsibilities, work, or school (sometimes both) require us to drag ourselves out of bed and into the cruel world. And not to mention that we have to take OURSELVES to the doctors. Where’s mom when you need her?! Oh, right, being an adult.

3. Filling Up Your Gas Tank

Long gone are the days where your parents would drive you to school, a friend's house, practice, etc. As awesome as having the freedom to drive yourself around is, paying for and pumping your own gas sucks. What do you mean, my parents’ cars didn’t run on magic?! It’s often in the worst situations, like rain or traffic, when you realize your gas light is about to go on and you need to find a station ASAP. It feels like you’re pumping your paycheck into your car, only to drive to work and start all over again. Yeah, adulthood is annoying.

4. Paying Bills/Buying Groceries

Speaking of draining your bank account, nowadays, all of your hard-earned money actually has to be spent on serious things. In high school, you could put your own money towards whatever clothes or technology you wanted. Now, bills need to be paid (on time) every month and you seemingly buy groceries once a week. I always thought my twenties would be spent blowing all my money on booze and clothes. Well, yeah, if I want to starve and live on the streets. Responsibilities, responsibilities.

5. Meeting Deadlines

Whether it is for work or school, deadlines are way more serious now than they were when you were 12. It was no big deal to miss class in middle school, but now, a missed assignment or workday can result in failure or losing your job. Mom can’t write a note to clear those issues up. Late nights in the library or the office have you missing the days when you had a bedtime.

6. Doing Laundry

There is nothing worse than putting your dirty clothes in your hamper and realizing the day will soon come when you have to actually wash them. Your money that didn’t go to bills or food probably went to clothes, which is now wasted, because you shrink or stain everything you try to clean. Behind you are the days where your mom or dad would have your clothes washed, folded, and put away every week. My adult self really wishes I paid attention more as a kid.

7. Maintaining Friendships/Relationships

When you’re young, friendships take no effort at all. You click with someone, see them every day at school, and get to hang out whenever you’re all free (all the time). As adults, responsibilities get in the way, and you actually have to work at maintaining those friendships/relationships. All of a sudden, you have to schedule time for lunch with your boyfriend or a shopping trip with your friends. Life was easier when you could just hang out on the playground at recess.

Even though it’s not nearly as easy as being young, adulthood holds so many possibilities for growth, freedom, and success. Still, there’s nothing wrong with wishing you were a kid again every once in a while (per hour).