Time To Talk

Time To Talk

The issue that needs to be addressed.

10
Time To Talk
Cameron Debro

Hey! You made it past the title, which means that you're already ahead of the game and don't simply just read the title of an article before deciding on it. Gold star.

Note: if you disagree with any point I make, or any numbers I display feel more than free to comment on them.

Talking about politics, racial relations, and anything of the sort is a very tricky path to navigate. Not so much towards the whole "snowflakes" narrative/quasi joke that's been pushed lately, but towards people not knowing what to say or when to shut up and listen. When reading Emma Beveridge's article about the importance of listening it sparked a very interesting thought process for me:

Often times when speaking about race, minorities get hit back with responses such as "If they had just done what they were told", "Cops have a hard job", "All Lives Matter", and my personal favorite: "Why do you people have to make everything about race?"

Now this isn't an attack on all white people. I have white friends, I'm in a predominately white fraternity, at a PWI (Predominately White Institution), and I've even dated a few white girls (do you see how trying to qualify yourself in that way is complete and utter bullshit?)

All jokes aside, this isn't an attack on all white people. Some do know how to handle the situation better than others, and to them: help your brethren out. When those who are in power don't help or choose to be tone deaf in response to bigotry, it does nothing but hurt.

I bring up race because race has, is, and for the foreseeable future, will sadly be an integral part of my life. Black America has shown countless examples of NOWADAYS discrimination and racism, yet on the other side of the table we are seen as being stuck in the past. I have to talk about it because it affects me, the people I care about, and even those that I don't know. Is it uncomfortable? Yes, but so is being Black in America. POC don't have time to worry about saying uncomfortable things as their entire existence can be viewed as "uncomfortable" to those on the other side of the table

It's very easy for a white person to say that they're simply confused as to what to do since, "Oh if I say nothing then I'm part of the problem but if I say what I actually feel then it's also a problem." People are quick to head to the "But I'm not racist, I have black friends/I've never done anything racist in my life" when most if not all have had own personal and problematic biases like "Oh he had a criminal past" or "If he simply complied he'd be alive." It's important to realize that since you have more power, you can impact this more than you can by educating yourself and your peers; using your own privilege to confront injustices at every level possible, whether that be stepping in if you seem someone being harassed in a store, to if you're a business owner practicing non discriminatory practices, or even voting for those who have the best interests of all in mind, and when they are going against those interests, to voraciously stay on them about that.

If you are too blind to see, or simply don't care, racism is still very alive today in different practices. Without going through an entire economic history lesson, redlining housing districts (selectively telling blacks where they could move or just raising their prices if they wanted to move to a predominately white area) has massively shaped the future, especially in black cultures. When the schools are bad, it's harder to get into a better school, which makes it harder to get a better job, which makes it harder to move out.

Simply put: Gettin' out of the hood ain't easy.

The system from the start of this country has been set against those who aren't white (women, your plight nor that of the LGBTQ community has not been forgotten) and lately steps have been made to try and move forward. But every time we try to better our own people just to get on a level playing field, we are met by opposition. Even by those we assume are our closest friends.

We say "Black Lives Matter" when we are being gunned down by police across the country but are met with "All Lives Matter" and "Blue Lives Matter." Both don't make sense. If you really think saying "x Lives Matter" is a flat denial of all other lives, wouldn't you be equally as mad at the phrase "Blue Lives Matter?" With "Black Lives Matter" there is an implicit "too" at the end. It's not to put down other races, it's simply a reminder to say, which is sad, THAT WE ARE F*CKING PEOPLE TOO.

But time and time again, these sentiments seem as if they fall on dead ears.

With a step forward, we elected the first African-American president in Barack Obama, (who by no means was a perfect president) who helped bring this country out of a recession, brought the unemployment rate under 5%, and instituted a healthcare act that insured roughly 20 million more people than before (once again it is not without it's flaws). Then with a classic populist and fear ridden response, we get President Donald Trump who has seemingly done nothing but exacerbate racial tensions, erase any trace of progress towards fighting climate change, shown to be one of the most misogynistic faces ever elected, and devised a healthcare repeal (mathematically impossible at times) that is shown to leave 24 million people without healthcare and implement a new one that will leave another 20 million+ without healthcare. He has also inspired the distrust of most media, the FBI, CIA, and anything else that doesn't agree with him. Oh he's also under fire in what may turn out to be the biggest scandal in presidential history since Watergate?

Voter suppresion laws, getting a job with a "black sounding name" is harder, I could go on with examples forever. Race is everywhere and part of this society.

Some on the other side are fine with the status quo, see nothing wrong with the way things are going and will continue to live their lives the way they are.

I'm a lucky kid. I'm currently going into my senior year at a top university in the country, double majoring and studying abroad in Italy. Yet I've still been subject to being called a n*igger both back in Georgia, as well as Winston Salem a grand total of 13 times (to my face that is.) I chose to write it out instead of say "the n-word" because for some it really doesn't resonate unless the actual word is there. While there are more who share my story, there are countless minorities who don't share the same privileges that I have and will continue to.

We are fighting against a group that doesn't want us to win. It's hard but it's the truth. This isn't meant to be a sob story. People have complained about TV stations such as ESPN and CNN as being "too left" or "emphasizing social justice." The only thing that those statements make me wonder is, if "social justice" is being viewed as something that only the left cares about, what the entire f*ck does the other side of the line care about?

The point which I feel may get lost is that white people have all the power. But they usually go about things two ways: when they do speak about race or injustices in general, it becomes super tone deaf, somewhat discrediting the experiences of those who have lived through the trauma. Or when faced with any sort of political/race talk they just kinda avoid it. You can participate in a conversation by being there and simply just listening. It's so infuriating if someone acts like "oh this uncomfortable, I don't wanna be here" and leaves or talks about it and completely misses the point.

Minorities can honestly only do so much while literally fighting for their lives. It's up to white people to change the structures from the inside that continue to promote bigotry. But in the mean time, when minorties are trying to explain what the hell is actually going on in this country, and what needs to happen, maybe it's best for you to shut up.