When I first graduated high school, it seemed as if I had a laundry list of people I wanted to continue to talk to. There were also some people I'd rather never talk to again. It was something I was looking forward to — being able to choose you can talk to on a regular basis. For me, as long as I remained positive about the outlook of my future, I was happy with whoever wanted to communicate with me beyond high school walls.

However, happiness becomes confusion when you no longer talk to the people you planned on keeping in touch with. I was confused, hurt, and I didn't know how to feel about the whole situation.

I used to think people were joking or lying to me when they said high school friendships fade. I thought it was just an excuse to no longer speak to one another.

It can be an excuse, but sometimes it really isn't.

There are so many outstanding circumstances that come into play when trying to make time with two very conflicting schedules. Being in college is a whole new game. Things are different. People are different. We aren't the same people as we were in high school.

This only becomes an issue, internally it seems, when you are trying but they aren't. Multiple times you can try to hang out, but if they show little to no interest, it's time to let them come to you.

It may never happen. Don't fret, because that's just how it is. You will never be able to hold a friendship together when only one of you is putting in an effort. It can be tough to come to the conclusion, but one day you just have to accept it as is.

As long as you stay true to the people who also still want to talk to you in return, you'll be golden.

Stay true to who you want to continue talking too, and the rest will fall into place.