It's No Lie That When You Do A Good Deed, You Get Something In Return

"Usually, I just ignore all of the homeless people and go on with my day just like everyone else."

332
Instagram

In Lubbock, there are so many homeless people around. Outside of grocery stores, malls, thrift shops, you name it. They’re almost everywhere and you cannot miss them.

While walking into the nearest Walmart from campus, I saw an older man sitting next to the entrance with his head in his lap. He looked exhausted and I ignored him just like everyone around me was. I could not stop thinking about him sitting out there all alone, for some reason the fact that he was alone was irking my mind.

It was hard to shop without the thought of him running through my head. Something told me that he needed something to make him laugh. Keep in mind, I did not know this man at all, and these thoughts just kept coming to me. I ditched my grocery list and decided to buy this man some items that will make his day better.

I went to the snack aisle and went to town. I grabbed my favorite snacks that unfortunately I cannot eat anymore because of my chronic illness. I picked up Chips Ahoy, Oreos, Pringles, Cheetos, Ritz crackers with cheese, and Goldfish. I also got him a couple of water bottles and a funny card.

Then I made my way to the other side of the store to find a box for all of the goodies. After I paid for everything, I went outside, tapped him on the shoulder, and gave him this box.

Before I explain what he said to me and what happened after that, let me just say that I am not one to do something like this. Usually, I just ignore all of the homeless people and go on with my day just like everyone else. But that day, seeing this man resting all by himself bothered me. I felt very bad for him all of a sudden and it was God Himself who was telling me to help him.

The man looked up at me and when I looked into his eyes, I wanted to cry. I saw nothing but sadness and loneliness in them and it was almost as if I was looking into a piece of glass. As weird as it sounds, I could see right through his soul.

I gathered myself and told him that I got this for him and that I hope he has a great day. That is when I saw the life in him. His face lit up and his eyes came to life, he was truly happy! He got on his knees, thanked me and gave the usual “God Bless You!”

I walked away from him with a smile on my face and instantly felt relieved. I have done a good deed and I got something in return, the instant feeling of accomplishment and happiness.

I hope this encourages you to go out and do something nice for someone else. A random act of kindness is something that is so easy to do and is so worth it!