Why The Tier System is Overrated

Why The Tier System is Overrated

It's not a hierarchy
13

Going to a school surrounded by Greek life leads to inevitable competition and reputation. The chapter you join carries unnecessary amounts of weight, due to stories and judgments that are made based upon false assumptions. I view this as the greatest flaw in the system overall. Greek life has so many positive aspects to offer the campus and the community within your university. There are philanthropy events, social events, academic events, and the like, which teach us to grow and give us the opportunity to become leaders on and off campus. This is what the goal of Greek life, of joining a sorority or fraternity, should be; not social hierarchy.

I know this might sound cliché and melodramatic, but in fact, the tier system that has been implemented due to social insecurity and a materialistic need to be praised is the kryptonite of the system itself. Who you socialize with shouldn't be based upon whose reputation holds the highest status. Who you recruit shouldn't be based upon vanity. Your friends outside of your respective organization are yours because of your personality and the way you carry yourself, not because you're more or less unattractive than the lot of them. It's this superficial aspect of Greek life that causes divides within campus communities and gives it the negative reputation it upholds today.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any solution to the problems brought upon our community due to this vapid outlook. It takes a decent amount of trying to inflict change in a culture that seems so concrete. But it also takes recognizing the wrong in our own faults. Now, I'm not saying I'm innocent of this outlook, because I'm not. But how great would it be if we could all band together to explore the vision that was sought with the creation of Greek life? After all, we only spend four years of our lives in this place where these types of decisions "matter." What's the worst that could happen if we branched out?