Throw Back Thursday: Them Sweet Ole House Boys

32

House boys: Every sorority has 'em, every sorority loves 'em. Their tasks vary from house to house but they can always be found doing hard work and lending a helping hand to us girls and the house staff. Some have traditions within their history, others change every year. 

These boys that we know and love are our sorority house boys! 

From the outside looking in, people may think of them as just the boys that never leave the house. From the inside looking out, without these boys I'm not quite sure how we would function!  

Although much of their work is done behind kitchen doors, these boys are a very important part to keeping the house clean and trouble free. 

I know at Kappa Delta when things go wrong, we always turn to our sweet houseboys for any type of assistance before seeking outside help. 

They are always ready to help us with whatever the task, large or small like driving us to class when we are running late, or finding our earrings that we lost at dinner. I forgot to put a back on my earring one evening and ended up loosing it in the kitchen. I expressed my sadness to one of our house boys, and the next morning there was a Ziploc bag with my earring inside waiting for me in the kitchen. 

It is things like this that make the ladies of Kappa Delta love and respect our house boys.  To us they are not just a part of the house staff, they are a part of our chapter family.

Since 2009, each and every house boy that Kappa Delta has had is an Arkansas Razorback Rugby player. This is a tradition that started due to the high amount of players that were already a part of the house boy staff. Now, our house boys have taken on full responsibility for finding their replacement after they graduate. This is a tradition that makes me proud. I love knowing that our boys are on the Razorback Rugby team. We attend their games to cheer them on and it is such a blast.

In some houses they have fraternity members, in others they have groups of students who are not Greek affiliated and are just looking for a fun job. And let's get real, what kind of job for a guy is more fun than hanging out in a house full of sorority girls and getting paid to do so? Not many!  

On top of getting to be around girls, they also are able to take home leftovers – that’s right, free food! There are many perks to being a sorority house boy.

From the sorority member standpoint, I love just being able to hang out with the guys. After seeing them every day around the house you're able to develope a true friendship. I know I can turn to any of my house boys for someone to talk to or a good laugh at any time! 

To me, house boys are an essential part to every sorority.  We love and respect our Rugby house boys; they mean so much to the ladies of Kappa Delta. I’m sure your feelings toward the house boys in your sorority are the same.

If you are interested in becoming an adored sorority house boy, tell your sorority friends and they should be able to get you in contact with someone who can help!