Through Adulthood, Always Remain A Kid At Heart

You're never too old to be excited about the little things; "Be playful. Blow some bubbles. Skip around the block. Feel the freedom. "
2

Adulthood is a scary concept to grasp, even if we don't want to admit it. Growing up, we all couldn't wait to be older. It began small, like being excited to finally ride our bikes to school with our friends. We couldn't even imagine the day that we're able to make our own life decisions because it seemed so far in the future.

Time flew by and before we knew it, we were ready to start driving. We were driving ourselves to school and then to jobs. We decided when to fit in homework and when go to bed. We weren't being told what to do anymore; we were getting ready to move into the real world. High school graduation came and the goodbyes began- the goodbyes to friends who have been by our sides since preschool. We never thought this day would actually come, that is until it did.

Some of us were preparing to go off to college, others to work and multiple heroes went off to the military. Tears streamed down our faces. We were sad that something was ending, but we were eager for something new to begin. Now here we are. We're grown up. For my generation, we still have time until we're fully on our own (paying bills, insurance, etc.), but let's face it, it's coming quickly.

Through all of this growing up and no matter what age you are, remember to remain a kid at heart. Of course, responsibilities are important and we can't be fooling around in classrooms or at work, but out of the given scenarios when to remain your adult-like self, be a kid. Whether being a kid at heart to you means physical actions or a different thought process, interpret it how you will.

Don't be scared to get excited over the idea of a a new box of crayons, a cart full of free balloons, riding a scooter or jumping into puddles.

Laugh too often. Take silly pictures. Build a tree house. Find happiness in a warm chocolate chip cookie. Dance to all kinds of music. Embrace your humor. Search for creativity. Focus on your blessings instead of your worries. Bring out the kid at heart that is somewhere inside of you.

Kids don't worry about the bad parts of life. Worries seem to become greater as we get older, but that doesn't mean that we should cancel out our well-deserved, worry-free days.

When something makes kids sad or upset, they don't dwell on it for long. They bounce right back to the next source of happiness that they can find. Don't be afraid to do this every once in awhile.

Emphasize the good. Think about being a kid again and how your days were worry free. Obviously, we cannot really become children again, but we can remember that mindset we used when we were younger and apply it to life now. Don't be afraid to have the soul of a child or an inner-childlike personality; however you want to describe it, don't be afraid to use it.

As long as you've always got a piece of kid within your heart, your life won't feel like it's flying by. Every day will be worth it.

My entire family- siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents are the people who taught me to always remain a kid at heart. I'll walk in on a conversation between them that is only full of laughter - enough laughter that the topic is put on hold until everyone catches their breath again. The adults I know will become enthusiastic over the tiniest things possible.

My older brother will turn anything into something worth laughing about and my older sister never fails to excite over a new discovered flavor of ice cream. My parents will get way too into a game of mini-golf and that's what I aspire to be like. I never want to lose my enthusiasm or spend my days full of worry.

Through adulthood-always remain a kid at heart.

And remember what I said before, "Take silly pictures."

"I am often accused of being childish. I prefer to interpret that as child-like. I still get wildly enthusiastic about little things. I tend to exaggerate and fantasize and embellish. I still listen to instinctual urges. I play with leaves. I skip down the street and run against the wind. I never water my garden without soaking myself. It has been after such times of joy that I have achieved my greatest creativity and produced my best work." - Leo F. Buscaglia, "Bus 9 to Paradise."