9 Thrillers To Take With You On Summer Vacation

Thrillers are fast-paced, unpredictable, and perfect for summer vacations. Here are some recommendations for books to pack with you this summer.

1. 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn

https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/19288043-gone-girl

This book is a classic psychological thriller, and whether it be the book or the movie, I'm sure you've heard of this tale about Amy and Nick Dunne and their less-than-perfect marriage.

2. 'Truly Devious' by Maureen Johnson

https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/29589074-truly-devious

This young adult series follows mysteries of past and present as we explore murders, kidnappings, and more at the infamous Ellingham Academy in Vermont - a school were high school students are free to delve deeper into their passions. With dual timelines, this series will keep you interested from page 1.

3. 'Final Girls' by Riley Sager

https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/32796253-final-girls

Final Girl: the only survivor in a terrible massacre. There are 3 of them to be exact: Quincy Carpenter. Samantha Boyd. Lisa Milner. Until Lisa commits suicide. Why exactly did Lisa commit suicide, what is Quincy repressing from the night of the infamous Pine Cottage Massacre, and where has Samantha been for the past 10 years? Each girl has her secrets, but not for long.

4. 'Brain On Fire' by Susannah Cahalan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/13547180-brain-on-fire#

This nonfiction piece may not technically be a thriller, but as doctors try to figure out what exactly is wrong with Cahalan, it develops the tone of a mystery as we are pulled this way and that trying to figure out why a seemingly healthy 24-year-old journalist is now hospitalized and fighting for her life.

5. 'The Roanoke Girls' by Amy Engel

https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/30689335-the-roanoke-girls

To say this one is twisted is an understatement. This book follows Lane Roanoke heading back to her family's estate after her mom commits suicide. As with any family, there are secrets that threaten to come out into the open when cousin Allegra goes missing 10 years later. If you like dark family tales, this one is for you.

6. I Am The Messenger' by Markus Zusak

Playing cards and missions arrive in the mail for Ed to deposit to strangers. He doesn't know who sent them, but he delivers, finding out more about his surroundings and himself. But at the end of the day, the question remains: who sent the cards and why?

7. 'And Then There Were None' by Agatha Christie

https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/9723667-and-then-there-were-none

Agatha Christie is the queen of mystery, and if you haven't picked one up yet, this famous novel is a good place to start. 10 flawed strangers on an island together. What could go wrong?

8. 'Night Film' by Marisha Pessl

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10112885-night-film

This mystery novel is perfect if you like eery atmospheres, a crazed reporter, a recluse film director, or mixed media. This creepy novel follows Scott McGrath as he investigates the death of Ashley Cordova, the daughter of cult-horror-film director Stanislaus Cordova. Investigation leads to the depths of both the internet and Cordova's back yard. This one will definitely have you checking over your shoulder a time or two.

9. 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote

https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/168642.In_Cold_Blood

Another true crime story, this one follows Truman Capote as he investigates the 1959 Clutter family killing in Holcomb, Kansas. The fact that everything told in this is true makes it even more poignant and intense.