Three Things to Learn From A "B*tch"

Three Things to Learn From A "B*tch"

353
Three Things to Learn From A "B*tch"

A couple of weeks ago, I was a bystander in a situation that made me feel very uncomfortable. A girl was using her phone during an important workshop when she wasn't supposed to. The person conducting the workshop asked the girl to put her phone in the designated "phone" basket to ensure it wasn’t at arms-length. When asked to put her phone in the basket the girl asked, “Why?”  The person conducting the workshop quickly replied, “Because you’re on your phone.”

I realize that this scenario might be one of those “you had to be there” moments but I promise, it was awkward, because the girl conducting the workshop was so blatantly honest. She stood her ground no matter how uncomfortable it might have been. She did what she had to do.

I know I can be a little passive and timid when it comes to speaking my mind; however, no one should hesitate to say how they feel about something. NO ONE should feel the need to apologize for holding different beliefs. NO ONE should be afraid of being honest with someone, especially when that someone is asking for the truth. NO ONE should sacrifice their own happiness for someone else.

Reliving that scenario, I can't begin to explain how much I took away from it. I learned that having the qualities of what society refers to as a "b****" isn’t so bad. In fact, it has the potential to be a compliment, because this type of person typically possesses certain attributes that everybody can learn from.

Here are three things you can learn from a "beezy":

1. Confidence.

Many times confidence is misconstrued as narcissism, and that’s where the “b****” label comes in. Confident women are self-assured and move through life with their heads held high. They emit self-love and don’t need any reassurance. They project boldness. They have the ability to take on challenges with the belief that they will be successful, despite the possibility of failure. Having confidence is key. Unfortunately, most don’t recognize it as a positive trait, and women who possess it are cast in a negative light. 

2. Honesty.

There is a very fine line between honesty and b****iness. Those who are honest are comfortable in their own thoughts/opinions, and are more than willing to express it. Not because they are so ignorant that they believe their opinion is the only correct one, but because they don’t seek anyone's approval to justify how they feel about something. This is an important quality to possess, particularly in your academic and future career plans. It is a way of challenging others, asking questions, receiving responses, and having intellectual conversations with individuals who have different opinions from your own. 

3. Independence.

They make their own decisions. They don’t seek permission in order to do something. They do things for themselves and can experience demanding situations alone. Being independent allows for personal development and character building. These types of women may come across as rigid and seem like they only want to march to the beat of their own drum, but it is more that their beat isn’t interrupted by just anyone. They will only change if it’s actually something they want. They are not easily swayed. 

Yes, b**** is a bad word and being called one is offensive, but why should we speak so poorly about the good qualities "b****es" have? We degrade those who possess the qualities we lack. The next time you come across a woman who is confident, honest and independent, don’t be so quick to judge her. Instead, look at her for what she is, whether that is confident, honest, independent or a combination of all three! More importantly, understand that you’ve met someone who could be a valuable friend. One who helps you to better yourself.