Three Reasons to Care About the VP Picks This Election
Politics

If you are who you hang with, we just found out who Clinton and Trump are.

3
Wordpress/trinfox40

In the week anticipating the VP debate, much of the sentiment I heard was similar. “It will probably be boring”, one person told me. But if you’ve been in the camp that see the binary choice between Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump as “a lesser of two evils” choice, their VP picks should have shown a much clearer divide between the two potential administrations. If you’re still thinking, “What difference does it make at this point?” think again. I’ll give you three good reasons to care about who is elected the next Vice President.

1. The top role of the Vice President is to be ready at a moment’s notice to assume the presidency.
  2. The vice president serves as the president of the United States senate and casts the deciding vote if there is a tie.
  3. The Vice President may take on a specific policy portfolio or serve as the president’s top advisor.

If Hilary Clinton’s speculative failing health were to prevent her from fulfilling her role, temporarily or indefinitely, Tim Kaine would be in charge. Let that thought sink in for a moment. I realize Trump sometimes interrupted during debates, but he could put a cap on it when nudged. Tim Kaine couldn’t stop interrupting incessantly, obnoxiously, and disrespectfully. He showed his character in the debate and frankly he makes EVERYONE else look much better in contrast. I’m ready to start a #neverkaine movement.

If anything happened to Donald Trump after becoming elected, I would feel safe. Mike Pence showed his character as well, and that character was heavily challenged in the debate. He is steady, calm, professional, and reasonable.

When JFK was assassinated, Lyndon B. Johnson became the president while flying back on Air Force one an hour later. Ronald Reagan was nearly assassinated the year he became president and needed help while he recovered from gunshot wounds. Roosevelt was sick for two years and needed assistance fulfilling his responsibilities. We just don’t know what the future holds and the next in command is very important.

This happened recently in which Joe Biden made a final decision. If the Senate is divided in an upcoming decision I would hope the next vice president would make a wise judgement call that is in the best interest of the nation. I would hope to have someone who could make the decision reasonably rather than emotionally.

Some might look at this reason and say, “What if the next president doesn’t take advice?” You’re right, we have no guarantees on this one. I will however say that in the course of this year, we have seen Donald Trump heed advice to try to get elected. I’d like to think he’d listen to a lot of Pence’s advice. As far as Hilary Clinton is concerned, I would actually hope she didn’t take any of Tim Kaine’s advice. I was completely unimpressed with him in every way after the debate. Which brings me back to reason number one. If something happens to Hilary Clinton, Tim Kaine would be the next president. Let that sink in again.

So if you missed the VP Debate, please go find it on YouTube to see for yourself and weigh these two personalities in the balance of your voting decision. At the very least, watch a quick montage of Tim Kaine’s 72 interruptions and Mike Pence’s response to a faith question. If a person is who they associate with, the VP picks are very telling.

How blessed is the person, who does not take the advice of the wicked, who does not stand on the path with sinners, and who does not sit in the seat of mockers. Psalm 1:1