10 Thoughts Every Transfer Student Has When They Start School At Their New University

This is a hard time, you know?

515
Personal Photo

Transferring is a crazy process - it's one that leaves you questioning and thinking about a lot of things all at once. Whether you're transferring as a first-year student or someone with a little more college experience, there are some thoughts that we all know to be true.

1. Am I making the right choice?

Transferring is a big change, and you can't help but wonder if you're doing the right thing. Should you stay at your current school? Are you picking the right school? Are your reasons valid? These are all real worries, and almost all transfer students know them to be true.

2. Why are there so many things to complete?

Not only do you have the application, but the application fee, the transcript request, the withdraw forms, the medical forms, the housing application, and of course class registration. You would think that coming in as a transfer would be easier since you've done all of this before, but of course it isn't.

3. I don't want to do orientation, I've done this before

It can be really frustrating to find out that yes, you do have to do your new school's orientation before you can enroll. Already having completed some college, it just seems unnecessary. However, you do have the chance to get acquainted with your new school, and that's a good thing.

4. I want to talk about this process with everyone

Transferring can be a huge topic for discussion for transfer students. Whether you're talking about it with other kids who are transferring or just your friends, it tends to be something you can't stop thinking and talking about. Be careful, though, it can get annoying for those friends who aren't leaving.

5. My new school is so much better

If you're leaving a school, there's probably a multitude of reasons. However, suddenly anything and everything at your new school is 100 times better than the last. The food, the dorms, even the trash cans are nicer.

6. What does ________ mean?

Every school has its inside jokes and own sayings, and as a transfer, you can be kind of lost. What is this "ducks versus squirrels" debate? Why is this certain dorm so bad? What does that joke mean?

7. I'm gonna miss my friends...

Regardless of your feelings about the rest of the school, your friends are going to be one of the hardest things to leave behind. Luckily for you, they're going to miss you too, and there are always chances to visit.

8. Plus, what if I don't make new ones?

One of the biggest fears about going to a new school is making friends. You feel alienated because you're a transfer kid, but plot twist: there are other transfer kids on campus. Not only that, but you can find clubs and groups to find people with similar interests. Making friends is scary though, truth be told.

9. Everyone is so judgy

Everyone is going to have their own opinions about you transferring. Some people will support you, and some will think you're making the biggest mistake of your college career. It can be nerve-wracking and cause a lot of doubts and fears to come to fruition.

10. I'm doing this for me

Regardless of what anyone thinks or any fears that you have, you need to put yourself first. This is a choice that you made for you, and no one can take that from you. You got this.